Half Pencil Trick (Pics)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Half Pencil Trick (Pics)

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:35 am

I don't have any idea who originated this idea but I do know that many of my guitar building pals already know this trick and use it too.

It's the half pencil technique that is useful for transferring the height of your frets and the radius of your fret board onto your nuts.... so that you can have some idea how much nut height to remove while making your nut.

If you have not used this technique it works very well and can save you a nut blank or two.

It starts with making a 1/2 pencil, I used my belt sander:

I hooked up the Festool vac to my sander and wore a respirator not wishing to breath graphite and I would suggest that you take appropriate safety/health measures too.

The idea is to use the flat side of the pencil on the tops of your frets to transfer the fret board radius and fret height onto the nut blank. Once you have a line drawn you can remove some of the height of the nut blank, but don't go all the way to the line...., and you will be cutting through less nut material as you slot your nut.

I hope this helps someone. :)

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:05 am

Hesh, Very Simple, Looks like a great way to do this task. I am about to enter this phase of a build, I will be using this technique. Thanks for sharing. :D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:04 pm

Dont be fooled people. Mister purple pants is so tight he saws his pencils in half to get more mileage out of them.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Well I think Hesh will never have to buy another pencil, the one I cut in half 15 years or so ago, for this use, is still going strong today.
Taff

Dadovfor
Gidgee

Post by Dadovfor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Now that is clever :shock:

jjh
Myrtle

Post by jjh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:44 pm

I glue a 1/2 pencil to a length of thin aluminium angle and use this to scribe the arc on the saddle and use it as a gauge for setting the action

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 am

jjh wrote:I glue a 1/2 pencil to a length of thin aluminium angle and use this to scribe the arc on the saddle and use it as a gauge for setting the action
Hi JJH. Greetings from the Colonies! Would you mind a brief explanation of this technique and maybe a pic or two. I'd like to understand how you use it to gauge the action. That would seem to be a useful technique to know about.
Regards from Down Under

John AKA Woodrat
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:45 am

Jjh, Hesh, I forgot... I use a similar set up for plotting the string hight at the bridge for cello's and bass's. and another for guitars.

In the photo you can see that there are adjusting screws at each end, one for nut end string hight and the other for string hight over the fingerboard at the bridge end. This plots a string projection to the bridge and is marked with the pencil. I use a similar set up for guitar saddle heights. I treat this as a starting point due to the changes caused due to string tension.

Taff

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:33 pm

The half pencil can also be used to more accurately trace the contour of a body shape that you fancy - that's a guitar body shape of course.
Frank

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:41 am

I believe chalk is the preferred method of tracing human bodies! :D
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:37 am

Yeah and that brown binding tape from Stew-Mac and LMI works very well too... :lol: