Cool New Material

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

woodrat
Blackwood

Cool New Material

Post by woodrat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:41 pm

I found this today in my regular luthier research...

http://www.advancedshelltech.com/

I was wondering if anybody has tried it. They seem to have a good introductory offer. I can't really get my head around shell that is flexible but someone has done it. Shell around the top was not high on my "to do" list because of the degree of difficulty but maybe that will change. If anybody has used it I would love to know what its like.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 pm

They're little rectangular pieces of shell with a soft black plasticy back & sides. Very easy to use. 5 strips would do a guitar top including rosette, and the intro half price $75US for 5 is OK, but they're rather narrow. I wouldn't go again at the full price. Think I'll use mine for rosettes only.

Cheers Hip.
[img]http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10140.gif[/img][img]http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1062.gif[/img]
Hippus Erectus

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 am

Hi John, I got there introduction special and have used it on 2 rosettes. Easy to use. I think even at full price it is comparable with pre-cut shell. I like it.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:22 pm

I would be interested in hearing some more feedback on this product as well as i would be keen to use it, please let me know your opinions

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 am

I'm happy to answer any questions you have Richardo. Fire away.

As I said, it is very easy to use, looks more like ablam than shell (brighter and better colour). It feels floppy in your hands. Has a very fine black line either side of the shell. Easy to use but I don't find doing rosettes with pieces that difficult. I imagine doing a whole body would be far less tedious and depending how you price your time, probably economical.

Here’s a pic of one of the tops i have used it in. It has only been run through the drum sander with 120 grit it is a bit flat looking. Don't let my crap photo put you off.

Dom

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:24 am

I'm in the middle of doing one of my Model 1 electrics with the stuff...top, back, fingerboard, and peghead. I'll post photos when I get it done.

The stuff is fantastic. I was able to bind and purfle the top and back of the body which has a pretty severe compound curve in two hours. That makes this stuff a real money maker for me. I'll keep using it. Thanks, Kevin!
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:00 am

OK, I am starting to get interested.

Dom - that is a nice looking top. What width did you use for the rosette, 0.047" or 0.064"? Have you put a black strip alongside the flexi-shell stuff or is that black accent part of the product? Does it have hard or flexible sides? If it has a little bit of give I imagine it would conform well to the routed channel without any gaps to fill in later.

Mark

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:32 am

Hi mark, I used the widest flex they had. Can't remember what size. The black line on the product is very fine. I added some more fine black and a BWB on the other side. The sides are a little flexible with slightly rounded bottom edge so it fits into the routed channel easy.

Like Rick said, if time is money it will pay for itself in ease of use.
Dom