Classical Strings

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Classical Strings

Post by Lillian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:42 am

We're staying with friends in New Mexico for a few days, enjoying the company and feasting on great food while watching the occasional thunderstorm produce a spectacular lighting show. (We don't get them in Washington). But...

I managed to get my friend to pull her guitar out that she hasn't played in too many years. The strings are dead on it, to say the least and need to be replaced. But your memory fades as days go by and she can't remember what they were other than the trebles were red. She thinks they were D'Addario's. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Waddy?

It's been a great trip so far. She's played several times now and has said that she will look for someone to repair her first guitar. Braces have come loose on it and someone slapped a pick guard on it that is wrinkled and warped. Its New Mexico. It gets hot.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:14 am

Savarez fortes come in a red packet. Theyre my choice of classical strings.

Cheers Martin

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:01 am

Yeah, but the strings aren't red. I'm not sure what those would be. D'Addario has a pretty good set of medium strings in the EJ45's. Nice trebles - good strong basses, and not all that expensive. My experience with the Savarez Corum strings is that they sound great, but don't last very long. If you can find the Oasis Carbon strings, they sound pretty great, especially the carbon trebles in high tension. I use those with Savarez or D'Addario bass strings, the most,. though I just strung up #3 the first time with D'Addario EJ45C's which are their composite strings. Hadn't tried them before, and wanted to see if I like them.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Red strings???? Oh God.....first we have middle aged bike riders waltzing into my local cafe wearing tight red bike pants and matching shoes...to go with the red tyres on their red bikes. Now we have classical players doing nutty things as well.

Good grief.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:52 pm

Lol. No Martin. she wasn't looking to color coordinate her ensemble. The first guitar she owned was a beater from an estate sale. When she took it to the music shop, the strings she ended up with that sounded the best with that guitar were red trebles. This was years ago when she was in middle school. So maybe twenty years ago. I'm thinking that the strings might have been flamenco strings. Besides, to color coordinate, she'd go with black.

The other guitar is a much better guitar and probably doesn't suffer from the same issues that the Aria did, so it won't need the same strings. I suggested she call up the music store and see if she can jog the tech's memory as to what they were and why they were used on that other guitar. And in the mean time I'll pass along your comments and thoughts about strings.

Thank you.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:34 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Red strings???? Oh God.....first we have middle aged bike riders waltzing into my local cafe wearing tight red bike pants and matching shoes...to go with the red tyres on their red bikes. Now we have classical players doing nutty things as well.

Good grief.
So, did they still serve you a cuppa wearing that striking ensemble?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Mate.....I was wearing my bike gear but I dont dress to attract attention. Sure the carbon fibre bike is worth more than my car but I ride in daggy mountain bike shorts and a worn out bike top. Add to that my very down to earth Canteen bandana and I dont really stand out as much as Mr Red.

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Lillian

Hanibach (not sure of Spelling) make guitar strings with red Trebble, they are really good. They are medium tension strings. The red ones are specifically for flamenco sound, however i also have used them on my Classical guitar for a slightly brighter tone

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 am

Thanks Richardo. I'll pass it along to her.

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:19 am

Lillian

I forgot to Mention they come in a black packet, these are the medium tension hanaback flamenco strings

Gaby
Wandoo

Post by Gaby » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi its' Hannabach - they are nice strings indeed. I prefer Savarez myself though feel and tension wise.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:43 am

Well gentlemen, you may have been able to jog her memory. She said she recognized the Hannabach package. Thank you