Time to buy my first router - Any tips

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bassbuilderman
Gidgee

Re: Time to buy my first router - Any tips

Post by bassbuilderman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Just my 2c worth as well, as I've just been thru this exercise. I have a Triton 1/2 inch and HAD a GMC 1/4inch job which cost me $69 new around 8 years ago. The GMC died during the pup routing on my current build. I nearly died too. It handled everything thrown its way since new. Talk about grat value. But anyways ....
I needed to replace it.....

I bought a Maktec Laminate trimmer $149 at Justools Sth Melb. I must say if I had my time again I would have bought the Makita 1/4" router they had around $220.

The laminate trimmer I found harder to handle and setup than the GMC. I'm not a tradie, so I only get to use these machines infrequently. However I did finish what I needed to do without too much disaster using this and the Triton.

The other issue I've seen with newer routers on the market is in regard to the visible routing area when freehand routing. It seems this area is shrinking.

Michael

Peter T
Kauri

Post by Peter T » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm

My advise would be to stick to a router brand and model that is likely to be around for a long time to come. The reason I say this is that I have spent countless hours setting up jigs to perform various precision tasks. Most of them are specific to a particular router. If one of my routers packed it in one day, I could put up with the nuisance of spending a few hundred to replace it. I would be devastated however if I had to redo my jigs.

Pete.

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Good point pete, thats the only reason im hesitating with Triton, do you think they will stop producing their products due to GMC going down?

If they are likely stick aroud, that rig you recommended sounds perfect Jeremy and i might grab one of the 2HP settups. Ill do a little reading to see how linked to GMC's fallout is with Triton.

Do bosch or Makita make a similar rig, with both 1/2 and 1/4" bits? Ill send them a message and see what they have :wink:

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Good point Pete, that would also say to me that it is worth buying something that is repairable and that parts a likely to be available for in the future. While we are on that I have had a Makita 3701 trimmer (the metal housed one)and have used it in a trade capacity for over 20 years now, the bearings started to go and before I got the time to replace the bearing I bought the newer higher powered Makita 3709 (plastic housed) the new one works well but the base plate set up is crap, it has a depth adjustment that didn't last 5 minutes. I replaced the bearings in the 3701 and it is as good as new.

Jim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm

The Makita with a 1/2 collet comes with 3/8 and 1/4 adapters Tim. Thats what my 3600 came with anyway.

Jim

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:49 pm

I found a nice Makita, it looks like it has all the necesary options available.

How does this one look
http://www.makitafactoryoutlet.com/maki ... RF1101.asp

Localele

Post by Localele » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:49 pm

It's an American model and probably not available here.

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Two and a quarter horsepower is 1677 Watts. They say the motor is 11 amp which means it's running on 152 volts? Were it 11 amp on 240v it would be 2640 W - approx 3.5hp. On 220 v would be 2420W- 3.2hp.
My pick is it's running on 120v and the 2.25hp is some sort of metric donkey. The downunder 240v equivalent of 1300-1700w.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Tim Mason wrote:

Do bosch or Makita make a similar rig, with both 1/2 and 1/4" bits? Ill send them a message and see what they have :wink:

The current Bosch machines aren't that hot. Try and get an older Japanese built Makita.

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:52 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Tim Mason wrote:

The current Bosch machines aren't that hot. Try and get an older Japanese built Makita.
I had my hands on one of the newer Bosch models recently. I'd recommend the Ryobi over it any day...

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Localele wrote:
It's an American model and probably not available here.

Yeah, youre right, ill have to go for this model -

Makita RP2301FC

Specifications:
Continuous rating input 1,850w
capacity (1/2" Standard) Collect: 12mm or 1/2"
Plung Capacity 0-70mm
base Diameter 170x 155mm
No Load Speed (rpm) 22,000
Dimensions (LxWxH) 155x294x312mm
Net Weight 6.0kh
Power Supply Cord 2.5mm

Comes with:
Straight Guide,
1/2" to 1/4" Collect Cone
Wrench
Screw M6x135
http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.a ... 2017&bc=no

:P
Ill grab one in a few weeks

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 pm

A couple of good buys here...unfortunately the Hitachi TR12 has gone. Better be quick.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/routers-123117/

The Trend T3 would be ok for light work. Ive got a T5 which is the most used router in my shop.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Insomnomaniac wrote:

I had my hands on one of the newer Bosch models recently. I'd recommend the Ryobi over it any day...

Oh that's a sad state of things.

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Lillian wrote:
Insomnomaniac wrote:

Oh that's a sad state of things.
Personally, I'm happy SOME of the recent Ryobi stuff has been getting better - the prices like my budget!

I should point out that I'm not universally a fan of Ryobi, and I have been very disappointed with some of their tools. They DO have some surprisingly good items though... This router seems to be one of them. It's a long way from being the best on the market, I'm sure, but it's excellent for the money.

To be fair to Bosch, the router that I was using was from their green handyman range, not the blue professional range. The biggest gripe I had with it was that the plunge lock just did not work. I'd set it and start routing (in pine, nothing heavy) and within literally ten or fifteen seconds I'd have to stop and reset it. Every time... Major pain in the backside. It also didn't have the screw-adjustment adaptor that the Ryobi one has- a very useful feature!

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:56 pm

I all for Ryobi's quality going up. I was starting to equate it with Skil tools.

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Ryobi have been owned by DeWalt for a few years now. The majority of their stuff is apparently coming out of the same factories. I have a new sliding drop saw, a cordless impact driver and the router that I'm very happy with. I have a cordless planer that is decent for what I use it for, and a cordless drill which I have been somewhat disappointed with. I use my tools pretty much every day as a trade carpenter so I can safely say that all of those tools - except maybe the drill, which I'm undecided on, would be more than good enough for home or hobby use!

I personally plan on replacing them with better ones down the track as it becomes necessary, but with a relatively new business, I have to maximise what I can get for my money!

Their 'One plus' cordless range is very interesting...

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 pm

I have a one of these: Makita 3216C

http://www.exetertoolshop.co.uk/images/ ... _large.jpg

They are great once you get use to the weight of the thing (by no means the heaviest of routers though). It has a slow start feature that doesn't twist or break your fore arms when you start it. Speed Selector is mighty handy also.

Problem is it might set you back around $770-850 and if you are going to spend this much on a Router you probably want to spend 35-50 bucks on the router bits (although i'd suggest using good router bits in any router). Carbatec make some lovely Italian Made Router bits for around the 40-60 bucks. And seeing as you may one day want to be cutting into rare/exotic/ expensive/ wood then the investment on 40-60 bucks will be a little bit of a pain for your wallet but not the timbers.

Only problem is there is some strange rusting within the collet on my Makita at the moment.

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.