3/4 size Dreadnaughts from Albany

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Peter Young
Myrtle

3/4 size Dreadnaughts from Albany

Post by Peter Young » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Hello all

As a follow up to the Wandoo guitar I have some pics of 3/4 dreadnaughts that a group of us have made over the last few years. I guess I an the visual record keeper of our little group of makers but I only take shots as they happen and do not always get the best aspect of view of things.

Anyway ... here they are ... 3/4 sized dreadnaughts as scaled down by Maurice. Most are 610mm or 620mm scale length, feel nice to play as a smaller guitar will and seem to have more mid range than full size dreads.
Blue gum back.jpg
Blue gum back.jpg (132.17 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
Blue gum cedar top.jpg
Blue gum cedar top.jpg (145.25 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
Jarrah back & sides.jpg
Jarrah back & sides.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
Maurice blue gum back.jpg
Maurice blue gum spruce top.jpg
Melunac back.jpg
Sheoak back.jpg
Sheoak back.jpg (110.21 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
Sheoak front.jpg
Sheoak front.jpg (106.67 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
Size comparison.jpg
Size comparison.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
I have not posted the Wandoo 3/4 or a 7/8 model that maurice did. Must say that I enjoy building this size .... a good one for starters as the bends are not too tight.

Thanks for looking

Cheers Pete
In pursuit of the lies & lore of lutherie

John Maddison
Blackwood

Re: 3/4 size Dreadnaughts from Albany

Post by John Maddison » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Stunning when you see them all on one page! Glad you're getting the hang of this image upload thing, Pete :cl.
John M

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Good work Pete. I'm enjoying seeing all of these as well.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:53 pm

John Maddison wrote:Stunning when you see them all on one page! Glad you're getting the hang of this image upload thing, Pete :cl.
John,

I think everyone who views this forum will be glad to see Pete is finally able to share some of the fantastic work being produced by you guys in Albany with us. Everything we have seen is a winner and I really like these 3/4's but must comment on the WA Sheoak dred...a real looker and I bet it sounds wonderful also...but what is the neck wood?

Cheers

Kim

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:56 pm

I think we need to be sending some vitamin D supplements to our WA brethren.
Obviously something is stunting their growth.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Really Nice work , especially the Wandoo, Please keep Posting Future Builds , Love to see Aussie Timbers in all their Glory.

Cheers,

Paul.
Paul .

Kerplunk
Beefwood

Post by Kerplunk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 pm

'Like the pickguard in the "Sheoak front.jpg" pic - is it also WA Sheoak or something else?

The Blue Gum also looks a little intriguing.

But more importantly, how would you rate their sound?

Looks like you all built off the same plan - and maybe with the same top wood too; if so, this group of builds should provide a great comparo of how each of the b&s tonewoods (looks like you've got Sheoak, Blue Gum and Melanuc in there) affects the sound. How would you describe the sound of each?

Cheers!,
Al.

Peter Young
Myrtle

Post by Peter Young » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks everyone for looking and your comments.

Kim .... the neck on the dig dreadnaught is rock maple and is NOT neck heavy as you maight expect. The back and sides came from Tim .... the best "boing" I have heard in many a timber.
Al .... I have mostly played the Wandoo with a "Lutz" top and the Cedar top Blue gum. The later is a little warmer and mellow in tone but the Wandoo is a recent construct and may develop more in time. It did sound good to me straight up. The scratch plate and head stock on the Sheoak guitar built by Steve is Blue gum.

As a general observation, althought much the same plan, all the guitars have variations in terms of timbers and neck profiles, some are Spanish heels others bolt on etc. and the bridge materials vary. As said earlier, they ALL sound great to me. In my experience full size dreads often lack mid range but the smaller size top may focus or ballance the bass, middle, treble ..... hmmmm ..... strokes chin? I believe brace shaping on individual tops is probably the issue though ......

Thanks again for your comments .... I will post some pics of the "big - un" (guitar) and some other Sheoak instruments in a while.

Cheers
Pete
In pursuit of the lies & lore of lutherie

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi Peter
Great to see some of the fine work of your group.
It was Robin Johnston's Playmaker show on ABC
Radio National in May 2008, where she interviewed members
of your group, that inspired me to try and build a guitar
for myself. Four guitars later and my fifth is underway.
The next one will always be better.........wont it? :?
Bruce Mc.

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Hey Kim ... thanks for the kind words, mate!
------------------------------------------
afshar wrote:It was Robin Johnston's Playmaker show on ABC Radio National in May 2008, where she interviewed members of your group, that inspired me to try and build a guitar for myself.
We're glad you enjoyed the radio show, Bruce, and that you found 'the spark' to get you going in lutherie. And a definite YES ... each subsequent build seems to improve on the previous one!

We sure had some fun back then by getting involved in the recordings during Playmakers '08, and I think it encouraged us all to keep going with this mysterious craft of making stringed boxes. From a personal perspective it's our ongoing Saturday afternoons at Pete's place that are a continuing source of shared inspiration, joy and great camaraderie (read: :gui).

For Forum Newbies who may not have heard our story, it can still be downloaded as a 49 MB .mp3 audio file from Radio National's Into the Music website, along with a gallery of images of us looking much younger than we are today.

It looks like our next step here is to break out the Zoom recorder and get some sound bites of the 3/4 dreadnaught gems organised. Pete: time to cue your young bloke Drew to do the demos :wink:.
John M

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:47 am

John Maddison wrote: It looks like our next step here is to break out the Zoom recorder and get some sound bites of the 3/4 dreadnaught gems organised. Pete: time to cue your young bloke Drew to do the demos :wink:.

Yes Please!! :D :cl :cl :cl

We will move this and the Sheoak dred thread into the gallery once sound files go up...straight into the pool room 8)

Cheers

Kim