Quality of Huon as a tonewood

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Chalks
Myrtle

Quality of Huon as a tonewood

Post by Chalks » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi guys.

I just got back from a week in Tassie with the Better Half. I called in to a place in Strahan that supplied some tone woods. Anyway there was a board there of Huon smack on the quarter, fairly straight grain, etc. Tapped OK but quite heavy. Has anybody used it with success and yes I realise great luthiers can make a silk purse outta a pigs ear, but hey I ain't a luthier. I just aspire to be one one day when I grow up.

Anyway any insight would be very happily received. They are holding it for me at the moment.

Chalks

68matts
Blackwood

Re: Quality of Huon as a tonewood

Post by 68matts » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Chalks,
I used some very old (2000 years +) Huon on my first build. Yes it's heavy, very soft and not very stiff ( at least the piece I used ) but on the small body guitar I build it sounds really nice. Not a lot of volume, that could be the weight or the 1st builders overbracing :roll: , but has a lovely warm tone. I'd certainly use it again if I found a nice piece but only in a small body I think
Matt

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Hey Chalks, Bob Connor has built a couple of nice Weissys from it he may chime in with his thoughts

a little banter here re the huon viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4106&p=48906&hilit=Huon#p48906

I wanna be a looferer as well when I grow up :D
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 pm

G'day Chalks

Did you get that from Dianne on the waterfront at Strahan? They are part of Bradshaw's Mill in Queenstown and usually have pretty good stuff.

I've built 4 instruments with Huon Pine.

1 x Terz with Huon Pine Back, sides and neck and a King Billy Top - sounds lovely

2 x Hawaiian Lap slides both with Huon Pine Tops, one with Myrtle back and sides the other with Blackwood B&S. I have 4 Weissys in the house and I will always pick up the Huon pine topped ones as they sound so much better than the Celery top topped and Myrtle topped instruments.

1 Hawaiian Lap slide built totally from Huon Pine which is nearing completion - can't comment on this one as it hasn't got strings on it yet but the box has a nice enough "bong " off it to suggest it'll sound fine. I've had a bastard of time finished it because I keep denting the bloody thing. :lol:

I know there is a long held belief that Huon Pine tops will be quiet but I beg to disagree.

Stefan Sobell was recently in my neck of the woods and he was most complimentary about the sound and loud volume of the Huon and Blackwood instrument. He had never heard of the wood and as thus wasn't biased about it's suitability or not. He simply judged with his ears.

I've got quite a bit of that Huon left and intend to keep using it.

I'd say go for it.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:11 pm

I had an old big piece of Huon cut dead on the quarter and was wondering the same thing so I contacted Scott Wise. He has used Huon and has made a lot more guitars than me so I believe him. Answer was that he loves Huon Pine, especially in small bodied guitars. Now the big piece is cut into guitar tops. They ring beautifully, and although it is heavier than Spruce my stuff is quite stiff and is rather nice looking topwood. Have not made a guitar from it yet, but Scott recommends Indian Rosewood or Blackwood for the B&S. Go for it.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Hey thanks everyone. Yes Bob it was Dianne. I will arrange for delivery tomorrow. I appreciate everyone getting back to me on this so quickly.

Are there any special bracing treatment I should be considering? Maybe top thickness by comparison to spruce; I.e. thinner due to heavier weight or will this just allow it to flap around?

Sorry to bug you all but I guess I am shortening the learning curve if possible.

Chalks

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm

What size guitar are you intending to build?

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am

Sorry to jump into your thread, but i, too, have questions re: Huon Pine.

I bought three tops, 2 small and 1 9" across the lower bout, and want to do something with them--well one at a time :lol:

I bought a few sets of plans for smaller guitars, a Regal Tenor, a Parlour, a Martin style 5 and a ca. 1885 C. Bruno. All Scott Antes drawn. I have a thread in plans re: the Tenor, as it seems to be close to Allen's Baritone Ukes.

I thought to pair up the smallest top set with a Qld Maple Uke set from Tim at the last sale, the next with the Parlour or the Style 5(both fit) with some Myrtle I got off Alan Hambly in trade for the Sitka tops I was moving. No idea yet about the big one, tho I have in mind to make an Acoustic bass after Mottola's Tinozza(plans in hand), likely with Bubinga back and sides....

Any opinions or experience would be appreciated...
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Bob;
I will have enough for about six tops that will have 16.5 inch lower bouts. I think I will do the first with Blackwood and check out the sound. Never done either so it will be new for me. I will definitely be going with Peter's advice in that regard.
Anyway.... Too many questions and it will be some time before I will start. I have a spruce and maple flat top and a spruce and maple Archie on the go now with a Blackwood and spruce Archie and a mahogany and spruce acoustic bass before I get to start. At my rate of completion that should be around 2015 before I get to book and thickness the Huon :lol: :roll:
Sorry Bob. Thanks for the help.

I might just watch and listen to Nick's experience if he publishes/posts as well.

Chalks

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 pm

Cool the board has arrived. Now all I have to do is get it sawn and thicknessed.

Chalks