40th birthday surprises...

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

slowlearner
Blackwood

40th birthday surprises...

Post by slowlearner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:27 pm

I turned 40 yesterday. I also have an identical twin brother, Andy. With our birthday coming up, last year I harvested the parts from a broken-necked Ibanez LP copy I'd been given to build him a surprise custom guitar. After fishing for all sorts of info, I ended up building what I'd call a semi-baritone. The guitar is tuned in standard intervals, but with the lowest string being D (DGCFAD). It's built on a 718mm scale. Like a tele scale but 70mm longer for the 2 extra fret lengths to get it to D comfortably. It could easily cop heavier strings and go down to B but D is what he wanted so that is what I built. I've had a build thread on TB luthiers forum. The build thread is here in case you're interested...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/build ... ne-939428/

It is by far the best thing I've build so far. My mentor gushed over it the other night when we cut the nut for it. I got it all finished the day before and tried it out... and nearly kept it! But it was time to hand it over at my bro's party...

I told him, "Got something to show you", and handed him the bass case it was in. He opened the case, pulled the guitar out and saw the ribbon...

Then he said, "your kidding..."
And was dumbstruck for some time.

Then as I was trying to explain the guitar, he brought something in wrapped in a towel...

Turns out, he had one of his mates (Lindsay) build me this 5 watt hand-built valve amp in purple tolex for my slide and lapsteel playing... And then I was dumbstruck. My Sister in law (flowerbass girl) was in on both of them without either of us and knowing and laughing her head off the whole time. So Lindsay and my bro Andy even got the whole pastor theme going on the controls (I'm a church pastor). You might also appreciate the serial no.
:D

Spent the arvo jamming with him and his mates and the new guitar is awesome in his hands. I mean I knew it was good, but in his hands so much better. And that is the pleasure of building. Watching something you built sing in the hands of another player even better than yourself. So you could say I've had a pretty good birthday... and my party isn't even til next week! :hyper:

P.s. thanks to all the help you guys gave me re neck joints and super thin guitars. ;)
Pete

Clancy
Blackwood

Re: 40th birthday surprises...

Post by Clancy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Next time you have a party like that I want an invite!
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

You guys don't do wrapping paper obviously! :lol:
Nice presents to give each other, I especially like the "Fire & Brimstone" toggle switch :D
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Clancy wrote:Next time you have a party like that I want an invite!
and you're gonna spew when you realise it was only in Goulburn... :wink:
Pete

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Great story Pete. I have identical twin daughters (22). Both artists. Both end up giving each other related gifts at Christmas and birthdays. Now you'll just have to get your preaching up to match your tone switch!

Martin

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 pm

and you're gonna spew when you realise it was only in Goulburn...
Yep.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm

martintaylor wrote:Great story Pete. I have identical twin daughters (22). Both artists. Both end up giving each other related gifts at Christmas and birthdays. Now you'll just have to get your preaching up to match your tone switch!

Martin
Well your welcome any Sunday morning at Ropes Crossing Public School Hall (10:30) to come compare the two. :D
Pete

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

Both those gifts are priceless. Great style on both, and the controls on that amp just kill me. Would fit right in a southern Baptist revival meeting.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Its my birthday in June :mrgreen:

Steve

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Yeah the guitar's nice and the amps a cracker but more importantly, who owns the bug in the background of the first pic and can we have some more shots of that? :D
Matt

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm

It's mine. A 1956 oval window beetle with a Judson supercharged 40hp 1200.

http://s279.beta.photobucket.com/user/s ... w%20beetle
Pete

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Happy birthday. You guys have got class; fantastic pressies.
So that's the Lion Of Judah on bass in your avatar?
Ken

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 pm

slowlearner wrote:Well your welcome any Sunday morning at Ropes Crossing Public School Hall (10:30) to come compare the two. :D
I think you guys are about 1.5-2 hours from where i live. I'm up on the Central Coast. I'll have to see when I'm not rostered on at our church!

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Where do you go to church? EV?
Pete

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:00 am

No, we are at Elim. Although we know plenty of people at EV. We originally went to St Matthias in Paddington when Philip Jensen was there. We then found a small church in Hardy's Bay, on the Central Coast, (about 35 people) which ended up growing to about 900 over 20 years. We are now back into a smaller church (about 100) which is involved with the very broken. Lots of addiction/mental health/homeless issues. It's been an amazing journey. I was a worship leader (singing) in our last church for 19 years. And at our new smaller church am now on singing, guitar, drums and the sound desk! Thankfully not all at once. If you are ever up this way, feel free to drop in to see the workshop etc.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 am

Happy birthday Pete, great looking amp. I recently had a bash at a 1 Watt valve amp (can't remember the brand) and the story I was told that goes with it was that it was designed by Marshall employees that could not convince Marshall to build it so they went with it themselves. It had a lovely sound and a lot more than I would have expected from 1 Watt. Viva la small things.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

martintaylor wrote:No, we are at Elim. Although we know plenty of people at EV. We originally went to St Matthias in Paddington when Philip Jensen was there. We then found a small church in Hardy's Bay, on the Central Coast, (about 35 people) which ended up growing to about 900 over 20 years. We are now back into a smaller church (about 100) which is involved with the very broken. Lots of addiction/mental health/homeless issues. It's been an amazing journey. I was a worship leader (singing) in our last church for 19 years. And at our new smaller church am now on singing, guitar, drums and the sound desk! Thankfully not all at once. If you are ever up this way, feel free to drop in to see the workshop etc.
This is us... https://www.facebook.com/RopesCrossingChurch?fref=ts

Love to see your workshop... as long as it doesn't lead to envy. :lol:
Pete

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for the link Pete, that's one very cool car. I take it by your brothers t-shirt that he's a VW man as well.
Cheers
Matt

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm

A belated happy birthday and what a cool pair of prezies they are. Certainly one to remember for you both.

Cheers

Kim

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 am

68matts wrote:Thanks for the link Pete, that's one very cool car. I take it by your brothers t-shirt that he's a VW man as well.
Cheers
Yeah, he owns three different buses and a 63 beetle.
Pete

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Wow, that must have been a really great day for you two. Close to unsurpassable! :cl :cl :cl
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.