britton timbers & tassie blackwood

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

scuffle
Myrtle

britton timbers & tassie blackwood

Post by scuffle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:06 pm

hey everyone!

im really wanting to get some tassie blackwood for solidbody electrics but i cant seem to find a consistent and reliable source for it.
has anyone dealt with britton timbers? are they like a regular timber yard where i can go in and buy a couple of lengths or do they only do large quantity orders?

if anyone knows any other suppliers i would love to know them! i live in gippsland, victoria.

any info i can get you you guys would be great

Cheers,
Andrew
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

nnickusa
Blackwood

Re: britton timbers & tassie blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Britton Timbers is a wholesaler, mostly. I don't know if you would be able to go in and check out the inventory. Wouldn't hurt to give them a ring.....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 pm

yeh thats what i thought. i better give them a call.

any other ideas for suppliers? i have looked at tasmanian tonewoods but he isnt operating until the end of october because of relocating (i think)

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Andrew
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Brittons are great , as far as I know , In Melbourne, they don't mind selling one or two boards, they like to be called in advance and have the timber pack pulled out ready for you to go through. Last time I looked they had their stock stacked high and it takes them some time to organize it . I buy a lot of furniture timber from them and they have been choosing it for me for the last 15 years
Their prices are good as well
Tassie Tonewoods :?: never bought there.
Ive heard ,

He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

:D Just something funny that happened here a while back .

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Andrew, you could try Aust. Furniture timber in Port Melb. I get a bit of timber from them. Maybe call first to see what they have in stock, you can buy as little or as much as you want.

http://www.afttimbers.com/productsindex2.htm

Wayne

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

awesome thanks guys! ill give these guys a ring.

it sucks living in a little country town. last time i went to melbourne to get some timber it was a 6 hour round trip! bloody traffic got me :)
ill just have to buy heaps to make it worth while...then try and explain that to the missus :)

Cheers,
Andrew
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

mlp
Beefwood

Post by mlp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

G'day Andrew, not sure what part of gippsland you are in. but if you are anywhere near Drouin there is a small timber mill called Millhouse timber co in Longwarry.(about 10 mins from Drouin) Might be worth checking out as i remember him having some blackwood last time i was there, about a year ago. If thats no good , i have a few bark to bark slabs that might work for you.air dried over ten years.Im in Seaford.
cheers, Marcus

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:47 pm

im in traralgon (an hour from drouin) but im working in warragul next week so i may call in to have a look.

have you got any pics of the slabs you have?
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

mlp
Beefwood

Post by mlp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 pm

no , i dont have any pics.but if you let me know of the sizes you are after.i'll have a look and see if i have some to suit. let me know how you go.
cheers , marcus.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 pm

I'd avoid Tassie Tonewoods imho.

Stu

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

any reason stu? they seem to have a good reputation from what i hear. bad service/product?
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 pm

I bought some Black Heart Sass thru neck blanks which had some form of spalting rot. You could pull your fingernail gently over the workpiece and bits of the spalting would just came away (bits of the wood were like a soft caked sawdust/ cork board). I showed it to a woodworking mate and he pretty much implied I should bin it as I really couldn't risk the integrity of the neck to these pockets of chalk like powder.

I don't have a steady income at the moment so I can't really afford to buy waste timber. So after that experience and a few other people on the forum PMing me about their customer service issues I just put a black mark next to it.

I now rely mainly on Tim Spittle from Aus Tonewoods, Stewmac, LMI, ALS (on occasion), Binatree Timbers in Tassie (for rather rough stock), Matthew's Timber, and some local gems around VIC because I know that the customer service is as good as the product. It's just nice to get a parcel of wood without bulls*** or politics.

Stu

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Have also used Market Timbers (fairly pricy) and Aus Furniture Timbers they are also very good.

Stu

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:13 am

you definitely dont want that. i know what its like being on a limited budget. my wife and i just had our first baby so we are on one income now and boy is it hard!
i cant even splurge on a cheap bandsaw or jointer yet! still doing it the old fashion way :)

thanks for the tips everyone! definitely going to make some phone calls this week.

Cheers,
Andrew
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:12 am

Brittons are an old reputable family business . They run their own coupes so have access to very high quality timbers , including Blackwood . They select high figure timber which can be specially ordered , including acoustic back and sides sets . If the Melbourne yard doesn't give you the answers you need then call their Smithton yard in Tas and ask for Rob Keogh , he runs their special timber yard . Otherwise Mathews timber stock Blackwood also , they run a little specialty Blackwood mill out of Tas .
If either of those don't work pm me , I run a specialty timber mill out of Daylesford , we cut a bit of Blackwood .
Pete

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:39 am

scuffle wrote:you definitely dont want that. i know what its like being on a limited budget. my wife and i just had our first baby so we are on one income now and boy is it hard!
i cant even splurge on a cheap bandsaw or jointer yet! still doing it the old fashion way :)

thanks for the tips everyone! definitely going to make some phone calls this week.

Cheers,
Andrew

+1