LUthier Courses in Canberra Region

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

JoeK
Gidgee

LUthier Courses in Canberra Region

Post by JoeK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:06 am

Hi,

I have been looking around for luthier courses in the Canberra region and the only ones I can find are in Sydney or Melbourne, and run in 2 - 4 week blocks which I am unable to participate in due to timing, cost and location.

Is anyone aware of a local luthier around the Canberra region who might be willing to take on a student on a casual/part-time basis?

Cheers, Joe.

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Re: LUthier Courses in Canberra Region

Post by Bruce McC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Joe

Welcome to the forum. I have sent you a PM re the local members occasional dinners.
I am unaware of any local courses. There was a course running at Lake Ginninderra Evening College
but it cut out in 2009 or 2010.
Bruce Mc.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Joe has contacted me privately about a course or lessons and while I haven't the space at home, if there was room at one of the colleges and enough interest, it could be an interesting way to spend an evening each week, not so much teaching as guiding and suggesting ways to do things. I did run into Stephen from Lake G who was running the classes down there, at the woodworking show a few weeks back, so he could well be still making sawdust.
Open to suggestions

g
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Mack
Gidgee

Post by Mack » Thu May 29, 2014 12:41 am

Hi, i just joined the site and am also interested in any possible future Canberra courses.

Im guessing I have jumped into the deep end by making my first instrument a violin :)
wish me luck

JoeK
Gidgee

Post by JoeK » Thu May 29, 2014 7:20 am

Hi,

As far as I am aware there are still no courses as such available around Canberra. Since writing the first post in this thread I have have been in contact with the ACT wood craft guild out in Kambah and started a Musical Instrument Making Special Interest Group that meets fortnightly onn Tuesday evenings, the meeting is on the 10/6/2014 at 6-9pm. The group varies I size form week to week but you basically just bring along whatever it is you are working on and you can use the tools and equipment at the guilds shed.

Check out they the guilds website http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au

Drop me an email with your contact details and I'll give you a call to discuss further if you want - joseph.a.kobier@gmail.com

Cheers, Joe.