How to change pixel size of photo`s

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

soulman
Blackwood

How to change pixel size of photo`s

Post by soulman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 am

I have recently got a new phone and am now having troubles loading photo`s as the pixel size of photo`s appear to be outside the parameters of the forum sizing. I`m not sure how to resize them.
Some help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ross.

Jeremy D
Admin

Re: How to change pixel size of photo`s

Post by Jeremy D » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:50 am

soulman wrote:I have recently got a new phone and am now having troubles loading photo`s as the pixel size of photo`s appear to be outside the parameters of the forum sizing. I`m not sure how to resize them.
Some help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ross.
I have always used this http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/. Its as simple as right clicking on an image and choosing "resize image". Works really well.
Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:06 am

There are lots of ways of doing this Ross. More that I could count on all my fingers and toes. Depends on what software and platform you are working on, And my method isn't likely one that most of the members here go to the trouble of doing. However it gives me the control of the output that I want. And this is what I do.

First off, I don't ever try and upload direct from the iPhone unless it's straight to FaceBook. That options seems to work, whereas every time I've tried to other places it fails for one reason or another. So, I import all my photo's into Adobe Lightroom. Whether it's from the iPhone or Nikon DSLR. If you are on a Mac or PC this program is available. Other options on a Mac that I've used are iPhoto and Aperture. Can't help with other options on a PC.

All of these programs to one extent or another are very robust, that will catalogue your photo's and in there you can do all sorts of cropping, exposure corrections etc. Once I'm happy with the shot, I can export the photo for all sorts of purposes. Giving maximum dimensions, or maximum file size, resolution etc. For print or screen.

It's these exported photos that get posted to forums, my website, off to clients or what not. And no, it's not a one size fits all. Each has it's optimum size and resolution so that they give enough detail for the job it designed for.

To give you an example, a photo that I take on the Nikon it will be in the 5mb range. After it's ready to post to my website gallery it will be between 40 and 100kb. Ones that are posted to this forum will be sized a bit larger and come in at the 150 - 250kb range. If I've done some work on the file for a print, that file might come out in the 25mb range.

I'm dead certain there are quick and easy ways that don't go to this level though, and others will be able to help there.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:23 am

If you are using a Windows operating system it comes with 'Paint' built into the system. It's pretty limited in what it can do, if you are looking to enhance or play around with the photo then Photoshop or one of the multitude of photo editing programs out there are far better but if you want a simple resizing then paint is handy enough. Once you've downloaded the pics from your phone, open them up in paint and there's an option on the "home" toolbar/tab to resize then just save them (or 'save as' if you want to retain the original) into a folder some where ready for uploading.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:53 pm

I use photoshop to resize, but if you don't have that, the free paint program in windows will do.

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks Everyone for your helpful responses. Looks like I`ve got some learning to do.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:21 am

soulman wrote:Thanks Everyone for your helpful responses. Looks like I`ve got some learning to do.
If your on a Windows machine the software I linked above can't get any easier. Right click re-size and your done. I am a software developer and there is a helpdesk here as well. Its what they install on clients computers when they have the same issue.
Jeremy D

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:10 pm

WINDOWS
PAINT
STRETCH/SKEW
(adjust % of X & Y)
SAVE
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."