The MIM.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Philstix
Beefwood

The MIM.

Post by Philstix » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:21 pm

I was in Phoenix last week and was able to spend a day at the Musical Instruments Museum. It is an amazing collection of instruments, some crude, some simply strange, some awesomely crafted, some famously owned, and some beyond description. My camera battery died just as I reached the Australia/New Zealand exhibit, but it was great to see some actual pieces by members of this forum, though you are not allowed to touch anything, so I still have never played one. I would name names but I don't want to leave anyone out and I didn't think to write them down. So instead I will just leave you with a question. Did you ever think of building something like this?
IMG_0029.JPG
The picture behind is actually a video screen showing someone playing the instrument.
Phil Pearson

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Re: The MIM.

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:55 pm

It would be an interesting build Phil ..do you have plans :D

I think it is a Nickel Harp or Key fiddle ....Sweedish instrument maybe :?
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Philstix
Beefwood

Post by Philstix » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes, it is a Swedish keyed fiddle and though it is hard to see in the picture the keys are in three rows. Four paired strings but some can play two notes at once, sort of a pianolin. In the mechanized instrument section there was a machine that played a similar instrument but the strings were bowed by self rosining wheels and they and the keys were controlled by perforated paper rolls. That one sounded surprisingly good.
Phil Pearson

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Looks like something Graham MacDonald might build.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi Phil,

Glad you enjoyed the MIM, I really hope to get over there and experience it too one day.
You probably saw a couple of my guitars hanging up there in the NZ section. The curator sent me a photo of them a while ago.

Cheers,

Christian.
Attachments
MIM photo.jpg
MIM photo.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 12421 times
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

Philstix
Beefwood

Post by Philstix » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Yes they were there and I thought I had a couple of nice closeups of them, but as I said, the camera battery failed me. Loved the design and the execution. There were some pieces by others who post here on the forum in the Australia exhibit which is right next door.
This is another instrument at the MIM, built by one of the founders of the Robert Venn school of luthiery, which is also located in the Phoenix area.
Attachments
IMG_0035.JPG
Phil Pearson

n~dl
Myrtle

Post by n~dl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 am

I have family in Phoenix who have been trying to get me down there to see the MIM (and them!) for some time now. Even my grandpa, who didn't think he would like this sort of thing, had a blast there.

Although Vermillion, South Dakota isn't exactly vacation spot numero uno (well hey, neither is Phoenix) there's a pretty mondo collection there at the National Music Museum, if that's the kind of thing you're looking to hit up on your travels. Man, if this slideshow doesn't make you drool...: http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/Tours/WalkThruNMM/Tour.html The tragedy here is that unlike the MIM you'll never get to hear any of these. Tears...tears...
-Nate L

n~dl
Myrtle

Post by n~dl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:02 am

I'll be finally checking out the museum this weekend! Can't wait. Maybe I'll add some photos here.
-Nate L

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 am

Allen wrote:Looks like something Graham MacDonald might build.
I'm thinking about it... :D
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

mhammond
Wandoo

Post by mhammond » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:28 pm

The MIM is a wonderful way to spend the day. Good building , good food, wonderful stuff to see!

Mikey

Graham Long
Blackwood

Post by Graham Long » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:44 am

We saw two Key Fiddles being played at The Woodford Folk Festival, Something to behold, unfortunately i didn't get a video of them.