Back bracing

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Pat.Hawkins
Myrtle

Back bracing

Post by Pat.Hawkins » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi Folks,
In a moment of excitement (first guitar) I glued the back on and forgot to shape the front braces up into a peak.
The top's not on yet. Should I make an effort to shape the braces somehow or perhaps it really doesn't mater too much?

Not sure of the implications ..... if any?

Cheers - a much calmer beginner :)

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Back bracing

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Probably be more of an appearance thing Pat, you're going to be able to see them pretty clearly through the sound hole. I shape some of my braces by getting a block of wood drilling a hole the same size as the brace then cut it in half and use it as a sanding block to radius the top of the brace, might be easier than trying to carve it. Welcome to the forum. Wayne

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi Pat,

I've done the same in the past, but it's still really easy to carve the back braces with a chisel and sandpaper after they've been attached.

Recommend protecting the back by laying a thin strip of sheet metal alongside the brace while you're carving it.

Cheers,

Wayde.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:16 pm

It's actually a requirement that one has made at least one gaff to qualify for membership of this forum.
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:56 am

I do the final carve an sand to the top braces after the top is glued to the rims, and before the back goes on, so doing the same to the back before the top goes on should not be difficult. I would not leave them unworked.
Taff