Latest Rosette

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Paul B

Latest Rosette

Post by Paul B » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:06 pm

Here's what I made last weekend. This weekend has been binding and radiusing fretboards - nothing to see there 'cept lotsa dust.

So here's this from last weekend, this is for a Adi/EIR 12 fret 000. I'm after a sort of understated guitar with some bling. So instead of getting rid of the abalone, I got rid of the purfling. I'm not sure if it's going to work asthetically, but we'll see.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Hey Paul, I quite like that. Just like you said, some bling if you're looking for it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:35 pm

I really like that Ab/Paua shell in thin strips like you've done there Paul.

Dave and I were using fairly wide stuff but I think it's a little too over the top.

Subtle bling. hmm Oxymoron for sure but it works.

Have you thought of binding the soundhile with a thin B/W/B if you think the Ab isn't quite doing it for you?

Bob

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:27 pm

G'day mate,

I don't think I've seen a rosette like it Paul.( A good thing ! ) Everyone seems to add purfling. I think I really like it. Yes it's bling , but in a minimalist way. Your inlay job looks to be tight and has a refined look. I look forward to seeing it with finish on it . Good one !

Cheers

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Paul,

Just going from the pic in the post IMHO the inlay needs to be a bit closer to the soundhole. Theres a bit too much wood between the inlay and the hole....to me it makes for a clunky look. Depends on the guitar as a whole of course. Can you pan back and take another pic of the whole top and post up same?

Cheers Martin

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Martin I'll bung up another pic tomorrow some time. The puau is very thin, maybe 2.5mm wide.

My missus is kinda reserving judgement on this one too. I don't blame her. I think in the right context this rosette will look great. I just hope I've got the right context. Only time will tell. I've kinda got a picture in my head with this one...

I'm trying to find a point that is a bit more minimalist than what I've been doing, which has been lots side purfling, lots on the back and top too, but I still want to retain a custom look, and have a some bling. We'll see...

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:07 pm

Different for sure.I kind of like it . I wonder how it would look
with another paua ring of the same size with an equal space between them ? Too much ? Hmmmm......
fine work, btw
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida