The world keeps getting smaller, and more expensive to ship

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

The world keeps getting smaller, and more expensive to ship

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Are there US vendors that will not ship to Australia or New Zealand?

In addition to that, I'll bet there are times when some variant of a "group buy" or at least "group shipment" makes a lot of sense. For example, I am letting my pile at Tim Spittle's grow until the amortized shipping makes more sense. (It's probably the same price to ship one or two back & side sets - maybe even 3 or 4 sets.) I'm sure Bob Zootman Cefalu and Grant Goltz will have no problem shipping packages for several luthiers to a single location, but I'm not sure if everyone will. I know multiple shipping charges may sometimes make a group shipment more expensive, but there will probably be times when it may provide a cost savings to make the big journey over the salt water in a single package.

If there is ever a case where I can be of assistance with a group shipment, please let me know. You luthiers on the bottom of the planet already have enough difficulty building guitars upside down, and I'd like to help if I can.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:03 am

Hi Dennis,

A worthy thought! I guess a post seeking interest in a product from a particular vendor or a general expression of interest would start the ball rolling. In keeping with your thought, I am occasionally in a position to offer material on a group buy basis for Tasmanian Blackwood. This might also extend to other tonewoods. Alas! Tiger Myrtle is in too short a supply to offer it on a volume basis.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:28 am

That's a great idea about stalling shipment for amount! It would probably be difficult for a group buy because many of these guys live thousands of mile away from each other. Australia and New Zealand are pretty big places! If I understand what your saying? Besides I think there's only like 20 people in Australia! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm going to consider doing what you do though! Great heads up!

I hope more people get into shipping so prices can come down. I have a feeling somebody is getting gouged and I don't mean carving!! :lol:
Last edited by BillyT on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:24 am

BillyT wrote:It would probably difficult for a group buy because many of these guys live thousands of mile away from each other. Australia and New Zealand are pretty big places! ... I think there's only like 20 people in Australia! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kim has a wife and 2 girls: that makes 23 Australians.

Yeah, I know the combined shipping thing will only work in certain circumstances. I'll give you an example: Tim cuts 1 gorgeous, world-class set of Tiger Myrtle, and sells it to me for $40 US. Then, he has to charge $40 to ship it to me. Yikes! The price just doubled! But, if I can get Tim to cut 10 gorgeous sets for $400 US, plus $40 shipping, then I could keep 2 sets and send 2 sets out to 4 other builders in the US. Probably save $300.

Going the other way, a group of upside down luthiers decide they want some stuff from the US: Claro Walnut, figured Maple, heck maybe even some Osage Orange - plus, some exotics from far away lands sliced up in the US. I could gather it together in a single shipment, and send it to Alice Springs in central Australia. Part of the shipment would be strapped to a dingo, who would whisk it west to Kim's house; part of the shipment would be strapped to an eastbound kangaroo headed to Allen in Cairns, then southwest to Martin in Adelaide, then zigzag east to Craig in the NSW bush and on to Bob in Geelong, then off to Sydney. Anything left after Sydney would be strapped to a platypus, who would swim the final leg to New Zealand. It sounds feasible to me! But, bear in mind I come from a country that elected a retarded man to president and made Paris Hilton into a celebrity, so I believe in miracles.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:37 pm

Yea! That makes a lot of sense! Buying from the "South" in groups is probably more beneficial!
But, bear in mind I come from a country that elected a retarded man to president and made Paris Hilton into a celebrity, so I believe in miracles.
Better luck in 08!!!...... HA!!! :shock:

As for Paris, she was in a.... movie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Spidey!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:28 pm

If anyone is looking to do a group by I'll put my hand up and help split the shipping cost.

I put my name down for a group buy over on the OLF for some bridge pins. Would have like to get a bunch of purfling and binding strips, but the shipping just doesn't justify the savings of a bulk order.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia