Talk about Jeff Babicz?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Somogyi

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:39 am

Hesh1956 wrote: And with no disrespect intended the entire top is not very neat IMHO and I don't see any evidence of any lacky like me spending a couple of hours hitting it with 240 paper and cleaning it up. But this might be a pre-clean-up pic too.
This to me suggests theres a bit of epoxy being used.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:33 am

Bob it's a d***d sized guitar with the thickness of the largest d***ds.

Dennis thanks M8 for letting me know that I can see the entire thread as I post below...... Duhhhhhhh Well that was my stupid Monday question.....

Epoxy might be used and that would indeed darken the edges of the beveled bridge plate. But acoustically epoxy sucks compared to HHG. Or at least I think that it would. Epoxy does not impress me as drying as hard as HHG or fish glue does.

I was told that Ervin uses parabolic braces and I think that to many the term parabolic when speaking guitar bracing simply means not scalloped.

For those who have not seen Ervin's videos he uses a voicing fixture where he can test the response of the guitar top and still make adjustments. I suspect this is with the top on and the back off but again I do not know for sure. Another possibility, perhaps more likely, is that he can clamp on the top in the voicing fixture but then why are se seeing this guitar backless.

Pretty interesting discussion.