Camphor Laurel/Noxious Weed

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Localele

Camphor Laurel/Noxious Weed

Post by Localele » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Thought I should post some pictures of the latest "Localeles".These are made out of Camphor Laurel which has been declared a noxious weed up our way for quite a few years.In keeping with a minimal look while saving the planet no extra bindings or rosettes were injured in the making of these ukes.Bodies and necks are Camphor with a Cooktown Ironwood fretboard.Also an Ironwood stiffener in the neck just in case.Minimal bracing is QLD Maple just because I ran a bit of it off for the last batch but I think that Camphor bracing would be just as good.No fan braces this time but a longish bridge patch like the early Martins.Result is louder then the last batch with a different sort of throb and a bit more Hawiaan sound.Possibly more sustain as well .Should be interesting as they play in a bit.The photos are two Sopranos and a Baritone with the colour somewhere between the first two photos one with a flash and one without.Cheers from Micheal.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 pm

Sweet look'in work Michael. I love the figure and depth, very nice indeed for a weed. But then as I look back, I realise how as I grew through my teens I did in fact discovery an appreciation for good weed. :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Localele

Post by Localele » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Should have metioned that the finish is all natural as well.Two coats of a product from Whittle Waxes.It is an" Oil and Wax combinations on a base of natural, sustainable raw materials including Linseed oil, sunflower oil, Jojoba oil, Beeswax, carnauba wax and candalilla wax. " Good enough to eat.3 coats would be better but it is easy and I will use it again.Much less work than 10 coats of nitro with all the rubbing and cut and polish although a different look and feel.Cheers.

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:36 pm

Crikey Micheal, sweet lookin' babies there! Good to see you're doin' your bit for the planet - Environmentalism really does pay :)!! Can you bring a sample of joined boards to Playmakers? Am sure David Hurd will want to test some out.
Cheers
John M

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Nice bit of weed you have there Micheal. I think the powers that be seem to consider the Ironwood a weed up here, at least the behavior of farmers burning it in windrows would indicate that.

Jim

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 am

Very nice indeed Michael. The Camphor Laurel smells good too!!! The Ironwood has a rich earthy colour. They all look great. I'm building a Concert uke for my daughter as a Christmas pressy or if I run out of time, a birthday pressy in early Feb. I have built an all blackwood uke and had great fun doing that!

Do you have a link and name of the finish product you used?

Cheers

Alan

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:18 am

Fun looking ukes there Micheal. It's hard to make something simple these days but you've done a nice job of it. Hope you can bring one to Playmakers for my friend Doug to play.

aloha,

Dave Hurd
www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Localele

Post by Localele » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 am

My Floor Sanding trade supplies sent me a sample pot which will do a few instruments so I haven't priced this stuff.This is a link to the company.It seems like it should be quite nice.I used it on the fretboard as well where it soaked in and I buffed it off with a clean clothe to leave the frets uncoated.It all got too exciting though and I forgot to screen print on the LOCALELE logo before I strung them up.
Kim , This weed is better for your sinuses but still pretty strong across the hot pipe bender.
http://www.whittlewaxes.com.au/Lists/We ... =&Ref=5615

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 am

It's a weed down there, but folks are bringing it up here and it's sold as an exotic. The wood turners can't get their hands on enough of it.

Makes for a beautiful looking instrument Michael. Interesting finish. What do you think the long term durability of it will be? How do you maintain it?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:44 am

One man's weed is another man's treasure. Those ukes look amazing!

Kinda annoys me that beautiful timber like this gets burned. The rest of the guitar building planet would love to buy this stuff.

Localele

Post by Localele » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 am

Allen , The finish should be good and would be easy to recoat as a wipe on oil.Any scratches could be spot repaired and they also make a repair wax which I haven't had to try yet.A different finish from Nitro or French polish though and obviously not a rich glossy finish but it does feel nice and smooth to the touch.It can also just be maintained with a good furniture polish like U-Beaut Traditional Wax.

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:14 am

Grouse ukes man. Fantastic wood too. Inspirational.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Cool Ukes Michael! Ive wondered about Camphor Laurel many times. The timber often shows amazing figure and chatoyance. The only bits Ive got have had no tap tone at all, more of a tap thud.
Sam Price wrote:Kinda annoys me that beautiful timber like this gets burned. The rest of the guitar building planet would love to buy this stuff.
Here is a link to its status as a noxious weed http://www.camphorlaurel.com/57reasons.html the fumes are believed to be toxic as well as the fact that it is rather invasive in Aus. It was used to make blanket boxes as the moths wont go near the stuff. I like the smell but start sneezing if I get too much of it. But it is pretty...
make mine fifths........

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Nice ukes!

Camphor laurel is a bloody pest down here. Great for turning, but bad if sapplings spring up near concrete paths, foundations, driveways, retaining walls, near sewage pipes etc. i.e in YOUR yard.

That reminds me, it's time go and do the yearly cutting down of the camphor laurel weeds that have sprung up. Saw three or four in the yard on Sunday. And don't the bloody things grow FAST!

Localele

Post by Localele » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Sebastian, I am new to the mysterious "Tap Tone" but have noticed that Bunya has a fairly dead tone as compared to say NGRosewood but soundboards are popular in Bunya and I haven't seen a NGR top yet on a guitar.I have used them on ukes and will soon do it on a guitar.
It certainly has nice figure but great care and a steady hand is needed to sand the grain the right way around the Chatoyance.A ridiculously sharp cabinet scraper is usually best to preserve this feature.Cheers from Micheal.