Concert Ukulele Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:44 am

Hi Allan,
Not for a couple of weeks on the birthday thanks anyhow.
You are probably about right on the thickness, I have been going to 75 -80 thou on my last two tenors with redwood and western red cedar. It feels scary flexible at that but I really like the response. Whist I use small fan braces on my tenors,a low centre seam reinforcement (Longitudinal rather than cross grain) would be all I would use on a concert. But I probably would not even go to this. Try it glued to the rims before adding anything
The sound hole braces seem like a good idea to me , there is a lot of force being transferred through this area with a big hole in the middle between neck and bridge. The 2x5 youre are suggesting sounds right to me

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Over the weekend I have been productive.

First up was the top and back voicing then the linings were glued in. I had to use the aircon and manafacture the humidity levels in the house. Man it has been stinken hot here!

The top was too loose so I went with the two fan braces and took them down to very little. I also glued in two small flat braces either side of the soundhole just to stiffen the top up.

The fingerboard was next made from a piece of rosewood.

Today I put the frets in and dot inlay

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Alan

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:31 pm

That is looking great mate, it is just getting better and better.I cant wait to see the finished uke.
Carpe Diem

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm

It is looking good Alan and I like the way you have finished the end of the fret board. While looking at the fret board end and contemplating variations on the theme I noticed that you may want to re-check you calculation on the 18th fret, unless it is the photo (maybe my $10 glasses) or some peculiarity of Ukuleles that I need to know about before I build one.

Jim

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanks Phantom and Jim for your comments.

No you don't need new glassers Jim! Mate I need new glassers! It is a mistake but there will be no note bending on the 18th fret so we will just forget about that little mistake. This lutherie business is bloodly hard on the eyes once your over fifty!

Sunday night after having a few days building my eyes were so blurry and soar from overuse that I had to wear my reading glassers to cut up the lamb roast to avoid cutting up myself. :lol:

Wouldn't be dead for quids mate! I love this guitar building stuff.

Cheers

Alan

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:55 am

Love the build Alan! I look forward to the convenience of a bandsaw.

BTW, I did the same thing on the 15th fret on an instrument yesterday! I reckon you are right, its getting past 50 that does it, maybe I should get some glasses......
make mine fifths........

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:30 am

Fine work there Alan. I'm really impressed at the amount of progress your making.

And I'm another one that is needing the reading glasses more and more in the workshop. I'm going to have to invest in a set of fretting templates for even the occasional scale length, 'cause the bloody ruler is just oo hard to read. :?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:11 am

You're doing a grouse job there Al. I'm very impressed. Particularly with the inside and the Espagnole heel neck joint. It's a pity you have to put a back on it.

Cheers Hip.
[img]http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10140.gif[/img][img]http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1062.gif[/img]
Hippus Erectus

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:58 am

I didn't want to be the deliverer of bad news but thought you would want to know.

I once was installing 12" x 4" Oregon beams, I grabbed a few Labourers to help me lift the first one into place, couldn't believe my eyes when I got it into place and found it to be 100mm short, the labourers had a laugh and the boss had a cry. Luckily it was one of the longer lengths needed in the building so I got away with it.

Jim

If you have never made a mistake then you have never made anything.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:59 pm

I have been doing a little work here and there on the Uke and she is now at the closed box stage. The bridge has been made and located, tuners fitted and a bone nut and saddle cut. I decided to try using some rosewood stain to take out the mineral deposits on the Indian Rosewood. The Queensland Maple neck looked a little light in colour up against the rosewood so it got a touch up too! The back, sides and neck have been filled with Timbermate water based filler. The fingerboard and bridge will be finished with lemon oil.

Today the Uke got a sealer coat of a thin shellac mix.

Thanks for looking.

Happy New Year to you all!

Cheers

Alan

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 am

Alan,

That's looking good - nice and elegant and simple. When do you think you'll have strings on? What tuners are you using? I've just noticed that yours is a 14 fret body join with the bridge nearer the waist compared with the 12 fret body join and bridge further down that I made. It will be interesting to compare sounds.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:22 pm

Cheers Dave!

Strings should be on in a week or so. The tuners are the guitars style Grovers Sta-Lites especially for Ukes. Yep the 14th fret is at the body. I made a mistake when cutting the neck shape on the new, s/hand bandsaw. I had a few hours practising using it but there is an art in antisipating where you want the cut to go before you get there! If you get what I mean! Anyway, I had a hick-up there and the neck at the 12th fret ended up far too thin. The measurements at the nut are by the plan. So instead of throwing away a nice piece of wood I decided to try and make it work. I don't think it will make a lot of difference to it's playability. Time will tell!

Cheers

Alan
Last edited by ozziebluesman on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 pm

Alan,

And thus are legends born and new instruments created :D
Dave White

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:59 pm

All finished off today. I spent most of the weekend on the uke. Yesterday was spent sanding back the five layers of shellac and today applying some beez wax. I also set her up nicely and all is good. The tone is sweet with good sustain but not all that big in volume. It may loosen up after it is played in a little.

These are a fun project. Here are a few pics. Today is very overcast so they are not great pics.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Alan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:15 pm

That turned out really nice Alan. The Rosewood look beautiful under that finish. We'll have to play both our ukes in so we can compare them next month.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Alan,

Cool uke - well done !!
Dave White