Long Way From Home

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hettar
Gidgee

Long Way From Home

Post by Hettar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:56 am

G'day guys,

Just thought I finally register and say hi to everyone after being a "guest" for a while now. Been playin' for 11 years, haven't built anything yet but the plans are there, having some trouble sourcing supplies as I currently live in Europe. Couple of years woodworking experience, mostly carpentry, bit of furniture building here and there and the mandatory high school shop classes of course. Anyway thanks for all the great info you guys have on the site and Bob..... your champ, thanks for the site mate.

Trav

Hettar
Gidgee

Post by Hettar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 am

PS I play guitar, should've mentioned that, but eh its 1 in the morning here.
I'd kill a man for a jar of vegemite!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Trav.

It can't be any more difficult to source supplies than for us in Australia. We end up having to get a great deal of stuff sent from the US, so shipping gets to be a bit much, and the exchange rate is never in our favor.

There are few Europeans on our forum. Perhaps they can give you some sources closer to home.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

James Mc
Blackwood

Post by James Mc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi Trav and welcome

There have been some great guitars made in Europe, perhaps you will add another. I've discovered over the past year that time, tools and room tend to be more of an issue than finding luthiery supplies most of which I have to have mailed to me (I'm in Townsville North Queensland and I can't even buy thing as simple as hide glue and shellac here). But the satisfaction of seeing the guitar you're building come together makes it all worthwhile.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:10 pm

QUOTE :" I'd kill a man for a Jar of Vedgemite "

Hey , I'd kill SIX men for a jar of Vedgemite Trav. . Luckily the black nectar of the Gods is easily available . .....' Vedgemite for REAL MEN '

We'll have to see if we can smuggle some over .

Good to hear from you Trav , and welcome aboard . I'm sure one of our members from your part of the globe will be able to point you in the right direction regarding suppliers , although as Allen and James point out , Importing seems necessary in the end .
Craig Lawrence