Show us your Projects

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Show us your Projects

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Everyone should have a bit of time up they're sleeve over the Christmas break so lets have a look at what you're up to.

Here's what I've been working on. Some of these are for the InstrumentWorx show at the Port Fairy Folk Festival, some are commissions and theres a couple in there for Dave and meself. :lol:

Looks like we're going to be busy doing heaps of bindings over the next couple of weeks.

Koa/Cedar 12 fret O-18 and double sided Blackwood/King Billy 14 fret O-18

Maple/Adi and Tiger Myrtle/Adi OM

Goncalo Alves/White Spruce O-18, Blackwood/Adi OM (the top is the ugliest one I have - really wide grain spacing, knot that'll be covered by the fingerboard - but as far as strength to weight ratio and tap tone it's probably the best)

This last one is a Honduran Rosewood/Redwood OM that I'm building for myself.

Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:06 am

Beautiful geetars Bob my friend!!!! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:26 am

Wow Bob, you and Dave have been busy. They are looking great.

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:56 am

Looking good Dave, love that redwood top!
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:35 am

Love seeing your work, Bob.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:36 am

thats a whole lot of great looking bodies you guys have got going on there, Bob.

Here's my Christmas present to myself...just have to cut the saddle slot and its done.
I have had it strung up for days with just the intonater jig and it really sounds quite good..

Grant

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:02 am

Great work APU Bob and Dave, Grant that looks beautiful, you must be very proud 8)

Cheers

Kim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:11 pm

They all look great, I especially like the soundhole rosettes :D

Jim

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks for showing your projects Bob. I like them all, nice flowing grain patterns, that real busy stuff on some guitars does not alaways grab me. I like the soundhole rosettes too, I use a style similar at times.
Taff

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:21 pm

Gratay mate ... can i see some more pics ? I love the 'clean' fretboard treatment and the amber tone of the top... it's making me thirsty just looking at it ( or maybe that's the 82 percent humidity here this afternoon ... )

and Bob I know I'm gonna love that Koa 12 fret 0! that's a wonderful combination ( do you get to keep that one for after-dinner armchair strumming ? - something that 12 fret necks lend themselves to supremely )

Cheers, AP

Have a happy and designated driven new year everybody ! :)
i got a hot rod ford and a two dollar bill, and i know a place right over the hill ...

www.flickr.com/photos/harvesterworks

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:17 pm

This just finished today, after fits and starts for the last few months. I've got a problem getting distracted by all kinds of things, and with the trip to Albany coming up, I had to kick myself in the arse and finish this off.

Soprano Uke, following the plans from Christophe Grellier's site. I've never even held a Uke, so this is really uncharted territory. And truth be told, it does put a grin on my face now that it's strung up. Building it was in many ways, more challenging than building a guitar. Everything is just so damn small, and telling yourself to make it light as, is a bit daunting.

Anyway, this was all just some scrap laying around on the shelves in the workshop. Back and sides are either Black Bean, or Brown Wattle. I can't tell, and others that I've asked can't decide either. Top is Australian Red Cedar. Neck is Qld Walnut, and fret board and bridge is some Lace Sheoak. Neck is bolt on

Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Very cute Allen. Would be nice to hear it played if possible. It is too hard to tell that back and side wood in the pics but you should be able to tell if it is Black bean by finding a scrap and sanding it, then smelling it, Black bean is notorious for its horrible smell, it really stinks you wont miss it, it will stink out a 300 square metre workshop. If it don't smell too bad then it might be the Wattle.

Jim

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Beautiful little instrument there Allen. That excellent finish some of use would die for! The top, back and side wood looks great. Such an excellent way to use nicely figured scrap wood. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Alan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Well, I don't think that it stinks, but I'm one of the people that like the smell of Indain Rosewood. :lol:

My wife didn't complain, so I guess it's Brown Wattle. She hates the smell of most things emanating from the workshop.:fff

The finish is nothing special on this one Alan. I barely sanded back and buffed after only a couple of days. It's going to sink back a fair bit, but it's probably more appropriate to this type of instrument. I just wanted to get the thing finished so I could concentrate on other things. Besides, I've got to try and learn a few tunes on it. :D
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:03 pm

G'day Allen

Sweet looking uke, it'll hang proudly in the Playmakers exhibition I'm sure, and you're absolutely right about building something so small ... tolerances can be even finer than a larger-bodied instrument. What brand of black strings did you use?
Allen wrote:Besides, I've got to try and learn a few tunes on it. :D
David Hurd and Hawaiian maestro Doug Tolentino are wanting us all (Bob, Kim, Localele and TimS please take note!) to learn how to play Waltzing Matilda so we can all join in a rousing rendition; to print off the chords & tabs they sent me click here. I'm making very slow progress but could easily play 'air uke' :wink:. I believe there could be a primary school ukulele ensemble joining us, no pressure!

Cheers
Last edited by John Maddison on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
John M

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:27 pm

Allen,

Cool little uke !!
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:50 am

Nice job Allen! Can't wait to see/hear everyone's ukes at Albany.

I'm practicing Waltzing Matilda as well, but no vocals please! I plan on letting the grade schoolers drown me out... :wink:

aloha,

Dave Hurd
www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:57 am

The strings are GHS Hawaiian. Got them from Stew Mac. They look pretty good with the black knobs on the tuners, and against the red of the top. That was just a happy coincidence though, as I'd never seen them before opening the package to string it up.

I've downloaded the music, and will diligently practice every day.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 am

Go Allen!!

There appear to be sooo many variations to playing Waltzing Matilda and as a beginner-player I've found the chord patterns that David & Doug will be playing to be fairly complex; a simpler version on Chordie.com (a great site) is available here.

And for all budding ukers here's a handy Uke Chord Chart.

Another good site, Ukehunt.com, offers a free e-Book to get your ukeing started ... to sign up for it click here.

Cheers
John M