Macassar Ebony in Melbourne

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Macassar Ebony in Melbourne

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:47 am

From the woodwork forum,

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=86531

another bulk buy, I'd pay someone to cut it up as well, whaddya reckon Tim?
make mine fifths........

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:18 am

It would be interesting to see his 'easy work around' method for the checking. Depending how deep they run, and you won't know that until you split the billet, this wood could be worthless.

I guess it's all to do with potential, when you take a 200mm x 200mm billet of VERY dense tropical hardwood into a drier climate you are gambling. That gamble has the 'potential' to turn out really good or really bad. Over a larger shipment, percentages demand that you will experience some losses no matter what you do to avoid them. Therefore, if you have a big project, it is wise practice to buy much more wood than you think you need so you can pick and choose the winners.

When the jobs done, one would then of course try to cut their loses by getting rid of the rejects for what they can. This is probably why that big kickarse macbony table cost so much money, someone somewhere needs to pay for the losses. Getting back to potential, I think this wood has the potential to be very disappointing and therefore would advise any approach be made with great caution.

Cheers

Kim