Papua New Guinea tonewood?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Papua New Guinea tonewood?

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:06 am

With Australia's proximity to Papua New Guinea, do you Aussie luthiers (and/or tonewood vendors) see very much tonewood-quality lumber from Papua New Guinea?

A number of years ago, I had a tiny company selling exotic lumber that was all Rainforest Alliance Smartwood certified. One of the importers I bought from (that is no longer in business) did have some wood from Papua New Guinea. I don't remember any specific species, but it seemed like it was all unique wood, endemic to Papua New Guinea.

So, are there any good tonewood candidates from Papua New Guinea? Does anyone know if the Rainforest Alliance still has any Smartwood projects there?

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:02 am

You can pick up New Guinea Rosewood locally, and I've seen a couple of the tonewood vendors selling it as well.

I've been going around to a local company that sells exotic local wood mostly as slab form to overseas markets, and they have heaps of wood that is found in the far north and New Guinea. I haven't tried any personally, but there should be some good contenders. They have just so many species that I don't recall any of the names. There was one though that really caught my eye. It would probably used as a top if you really wanted the "BLING". It was bright dark red with fine yellow streaks and flecks. I just might have to get some. :D

Don't know about Rainforest Alliance Smartwood projects there.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:21 pm

New Guinea Rosewood is also known to you northeners as Narra. I'm using it for necks at the moment, but it's also a great back and side wood.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:10 am

Yeah, Bob Zootman Cefalu had some incredibly beautiful figured Narra a while back. Gorgeous stuff!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!