Martin Parlor 1830-1850

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Martin Parlor 1830-1850

Post by Lillian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:15 am

I didn't have as much time as I would have liked with the Martins. I did get a profile of the neck at the first and tenth fret and some of the measurements. I tried to get a picture of the bracing, but the light sources I used weren't bright enough. I will be going back for a second look. In the mean time, I have some pictures. I bought a camera just for the occasion, but I didn't have time to really get used to it.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:46 am

That guitar looks to be in amazing condition. Hope I look that good at half the it's age. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:26 pm

Is there no binding for the rear?. That heel looks like a after thought, I would like to know the joinery that is going on there.

Jim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Jim, no, there isn't any binding on the back. When I get back to the guitar with better light sources and more time, hopefully I'll be able to get better pictures including the insides.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:41 pm

I think that is a dovetail joint Jim, the only way they were done for a long time, certainly in the early 19C. The lack of back binding is not unusual for the period either. I thought Martin was moving away from the european fashions by then..?..

What kind of strings are on the instrument Lillian?

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Sebastiaan, nylon strings. It was found in the '70's in the back of an auction house on a pile of stuff to be tossed out. He had it cleaned up sort of and put strings on it. He isn't a player but he lets anyone play it who wants to play it.

Larry sent this one and pictures of the other one back to Martin to be dated by their historian, who placed it between 1835 and 1850. The body size is a bit off compared to others that Martin later produced, but that wasn't unusual considering the time frame.