Weld on cement

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Drjay
Wandoo

Weld on cement

Post by Drjay » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi all
I am still finding my way through this guitar kit and it seems that at every turn there is a problem to solve. I must say though that this is not a bad thing but one that is stimulating in a frustrating way.
My latest problem is finding an appropriate substitute for theweld on cement StewMac recommend .
I went to a local hobby shop and asked for weld on cement and they looked at me sideways. Uhh?
What is the local substitute for this adhesive? StewMac recommend it for gluing bindings, etc.
Jim Latham
Tecoma

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:08 pm

It is available locally from people who fabricate acrylic and perspex and the like
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Nasty stuff. Make sure you read the warnings on the label.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:34 pm

Check with an archery shop to see what they use to put plastic nocks on wooden arrows. Ducco sounds like Weld On, but its been a long time since I did any fletching, I want to say it drys clear. Don't know about its availability in OZ though.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 am

Get use the the sideways looks Jim. :lol: We get them all the time.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:11 am

Like Graham says, I got it from a local pespex mob.
It cost about $35 but should last for ages.
Be carefull using it. It comes out like water. Sticks like s*** and can make a real mess of everything in moment. DONT SQUEEZE THE TUBE. Also, it sticks plastic bindings almost instantly.

Drjay
Wandoo

Post by Drjay » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks.
Am I better of using Titebond to glue the bindings, etc?
Jim Latham
Tecoma

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:08 am

Don't think about using Titebond if the bindings are plastic. If the Weldon 16 isn't readily available it might be worth checking hobby shops for solvent type glues, the things that stick together plastic model planes and cars, if you are using ABS plastic bindings and I think that is what the StewMac kits are including.

The other possibility is good old fashioned Tarzans Grip (I think it is still available) which has that same sort of solvent glue smell. What you are looking to happen is for the glue to melt/dissolve/soften the bindings just a little while you hold it to the rebate on the body. A bit of testing might be in order.

Some people use superglue for plastic bindings. No direct eperience, but I would be a little concerned about the brittleness of the bond. That said, lots of people use it successfully, at least anecdotally from discussion groups.

With any of the solvent glues, some ventilation is good unless you really want the buzz from the solvents :D

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am

I've used Acetone for gluing celluloid bindings both to each other and to wood as well. I just dissolved my scrapings in a thimble full and used that. Seems to be holding 3 months after the fact. Duuno if it will work for ABS.
make mine fifths........

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:53 am

With any of the solvent glues, some ventilation is good unless you really want the buzz from the solvents
The label on my tube of Weld-On #16 includes the advice "If inhaled, move into fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration." I think that gives a good indication of what you'll be dealing with.

I'll say it again: read the warnings on the label before you use it!

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:04 am

Weld-on is solvent based and easy to use but everyone is right that ventilation is required.

Also it shrinks back considerably in the first 24 hours and this is the solvents escaping...... So after using it be sure that the guitar has a place to cure that is free of humans and pets.

Lastly don't attempt to scrape back for at least 24 hours, 48 is better, because it shrinks so very much. Once all the shrinkage........ is over you can scrape level.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:21 am

[quote="Lillian"].....but its been a long time since I did any fletching.[quote]

What the heck is fletching? For a moment there I thought you were talking about something else which has absolutely nothing to do with archery :roll:

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:43 am

fletch (flěch)
tr.v. fletched, fletch·ing, fletch·es
To feather (an arrow).

There was a time I was seriously into archery. Made my own gear, well except the bow, but I was working on that. Then I injured my shoulder and we move up here. The shoulder heal, mostly, but I couldn't justify the annual cost of joining a shooting club to have access to their range for an every other weekend round and the daily rate is just robbery.

I'm trying to build a guitar instead.

Martin, I don't think I want to know where your mind went to.