12 string back braced up

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

12 string back braced up

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:27 pm

The end results of todays efforts in the workshop. Got the 12 string back braced up and ready to go on the body. Bracing is Sitka Spruce as is the centre seam strip. The back is Indian Rosewood from LMI (opportunity grade).

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 am

Hi Martin,

Does your x brace sit on the centre seam or through it? Does the numbering relate to plate thickness?

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:59 am

Hi Tim,

X brace sits on the back. Centre seam strip has been cut to fit the brace.
The numbers are the calipered thickness of the ends of the braces where theyll tuck into the linings.

Cheers Martin

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:11 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the information.

regards

Tim

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:07 am

Again, cos I don't understand guitars yet ... what happens if you *don't* tuck the ends of the braces into the linings, but just graduate them down to zero at the tips?

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:36 am

Here is my ten cents worth!

If the back bracing is not tied into the sides/linings then there will be more movement. Too much movement might mean structural failure. As I see it the back plate I believe acts like a reflector of sound so if there is too much movement perhaps there will be a loss of sound or a change in tone. Having said that there are double backs which I think don't have any bracing (not sure). If you were referring to the top plate where there is more direct tension from the strings, a lack of bracing tied into the side may over time cause the top to implode around the waist/soundhole area.

Any way that is my ten cents worth for the day.

regards

Tim

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:43 am

Tim, the 2 schools of thought (that I have read) on that are:

Stiff, highly reflective back = projection

Looser, more vibrational back = more radiated sound near the guitar especially to the player

Now you'll have to build one of each and see what you like better!

Of course, I guess there are a million shades of gray between those extremes as well.

Dennis
Last edited by Dennis Leahy on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Another damn Yank!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:52 am

On our last few guitars we have graduated the back braces down to nothing and let the sides squash the remaining sliver of spruce.

I feel that it does make for a very personal sounding and feeling guitar.

You can feel the back vibrating aginst you chest when you play it and it makes for a little extra coupling with the top.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:22 am

matthew wrote:Again, cos I don't understand guitars yet ... what happens if you *don't* tuck the ends of the braces into the linings, but just graduate them down to zero at the tips?
I do it mainly for structural reasons. Housing the brace end into the lining adds strength to the back and IMO helps keep arch in the back also.

The argument regarding whether or not a back should be free to vibrate is a many sided debate. Allan Carruth has some interesting and well thought out ideas on this subject. His work on the physics of the guitar are well worth a read.

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Looking good Martin, keep it up bro!
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:22 pm

What is opportunity grade? Is it the same as the 2nd grade stuff you see at lmii or allied lutherie? Is there an Aussie place to get some?
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:57 pm

Occasionally LMI has opportunity grade wood available. Its low grade stuff that doesnt make 2nd grade due to knots, pinholes or other blemishes but its still usable. usually the template can be placed to avoid most of the major blemishes and if that doesnt work a bit of work with CA glue can often do the trick.

I havent seen any opp grade IRW on LMI for a while. I got mine about 3 years ago.

Tim Spittle is waiting on a consignment of IRW so PM him if youre interested. Occassionally Dave Freeman at Timeless Instruments has opp grade wood.