Kia Ora- It's Intro time !

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Kia Ora- It's Intro time !

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 am

Hello everybody on the ANZLF forum. I'm new around here so I thought a bit of an introduction was in order. I currently live across the ditch in Christchurch NZ.
My day job has always been as an engineer (Tool & Diemaking) but my fascination has always been with music.
I started out making necks, bodies or complete electric guitars but mostly repairs and resprays and one offs that couldn't be bought off the shelf (e.g lefty guitars or customer's own idea of what a guitar should look like). That has taken up my spare time for the last 15 years but I've always had a 'hankering' for building acoustics after my first rough attempt at 16, that did actually produce an albeit choked sound but a sound none the less. :o
The shape, look & skills needed to produce an acoustic archtop appealed to me so 2 years ago I started making those (with the assistance of Bob Benedetto & his book & DVD's). Haven't sold any of those to date as New Zealand guitarists seem to baulk at having to pay more than a Korean produced copy would cost them :shock:
Just recently started making Selmer style guitars also. These are great guitars, loud for their size (produce an incredible volume for a small bodied guitar) and a real punch in the sound. I was fortunate and was commissioned to make the first one for a local Jazz legend who wanted a 'non-standard' version and I really enjoyed making it so much that my second one (my own personal one) is now only a couple of weeks off completion. Should look good as I've used some beautifully figured Tasmanian Blackwood for the back and sides.
Here are a few shots of the Acoustic guitars I've knocked out so far. Hopefully my luthiery skills are better than my photography skills
The first Archtop ("Blondie") used European Spruce & Euro maple with a flame/birdseye maple neck. I cross braced the top to give a mellow typical modern jazz sound.
Image Image

Then came the second one "La Castana" (the Brunette) which used Sitka and Western flamed Maple and had parallel bracing, gave a really nice open, cutting sound.
Image Image
Then came the Selmer Style 'Petite Bouche', Sitka spruce soundboard, Indian Rosewood back and sides & a few "extra's" that the customer requested. (shorter than normal scale length and an electric pickup in the neck posn as well as a K&K under the soundboard)
Image Image

The two rosewood volume knobs on the upper bout were sprayed after the photo was taken so are now the same shade as the sides (incase you were wondering!)
:oops:
I look forward to picking up tips from you all that have way more experience than I do and maybe even adding something of value of my own. :D
Last edited by Nick on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:53 am

Hi and welcome Nick. I know I've said that before. Am looking forward to your new Selmer and hopefully some bigger pics, for all we know you could have got those thumbnails off the net :D .

Jim

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Welcome Nick!

Selmers and archtops! Awesome!

I'm not going to get around to those until I'm happy that I'm building decent steelstring acoustics - might take a while.

Glad to have you here.

Paul

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Toejam wrote:Hi and welcome Nick. I know I've said that before. Am looking forward to your new Selmer and hopefully some bigger pics, for all we know you could have got those thumbnails off the net :D .

Jim
Thanks again Jim for the welcome, I'm using Image shack at the moment (is there a better service that hosts at a bigger size?) so if you're that keen to see a slightly bigger pic just click on the thumbnail. Hopefully my signature inlayed on the headstock should prove I made them......Then again it's amazing what you can do in Photoshop aint it? :lol:
As for the Tassy blackwood Selmer, just in the process of polishing then it's final fret dress and set up, then, hopefully in 2-3 weeks time that puppy will make me sound like Django! :git but I somehow doubt it, I think there's a slight talent factor missing :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:24 pm

I've been toying with the idea of making a Selmer, too. But I have some more basses to complete first ... but its nice to see a selmer or two being made. Are you going to be able to post build shots?

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:48 pm

matthew wrote:I've been toying with the idea of making a Selmer, too. But I have some more basses to complete first ... but its nice to see a selmer or two being made. Are you going to be able to post build shots?
I have a pile I did for the customer of the first one so I'll round some of them up and only too glad to post them for you :) (post all of them and it would be like watching Auntie Mabel's holiday snaps for 3 hours!) Unfortunately I didn't bother with the latest build as I was doing for myself. I like to take build shots & make a slideshow and do a DVD for the customer usually.
"Jesus Loves You."

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:18 am

Nick, I am new to this forum as well, and like you, I shall introduce myself properly in another post. But, in the mean time let me say that your Selmer looks most impressive. I have long held an ambition to make a full quintet of Hot club instruments, and so far have the violin. I am now making moulds/jigs etc for the guitars, using the Francois Charles drawings. From your post I gather that you made your Selmer using solid timbers for the back and sides. Did you contemplate the laminated type of construction used on most of the originals? And how did you go with the "pliage". I have a thousand other questions, but maybe I'll wait to see if they are answered by the promised photos. I am really looking forward to seeing them.
I must say that the prospect of making a double bass is a bit daunting, but maybe Matthew (fellow Maestronetter, and obviously another Django fan) will be willing to help there. :)
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

JayC
Gidgee

Post by JayC » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 pm

welcome Nick. Absolutely fantastic work. Thanks for sharing. What finish did you use on the guitars??

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:24 am

Mike Thomas wrote: I am now making moulds/jigs etc for the guitars, using the Francois Charles drawings. From your post I gather that you made your Selmer using solid timbers for the back and sides. Did you contemplate the laminated type of construction used on most of the originals? And how did you go with the "pliage".
Thanks for your comments Mike they are most appreciated! I used the Micheal Collins book "Building a Selmer Maccaferri guitar" as a reference source, it was a useful thing to have for positioning e.t.c although I changed a few things. I did indeed use solid back & sides, I contemplated using the laminate system but various things I read on the web by other makers & my own thoughts lead me to use solid timbers.I also didn't use the Selmer style of neck manufacture (mortise and tenon headstock joint) and changed the neck angle (increased it), I used the Gibson 24 5/8" scale and increased the angle (from 2 to 4 1/2 degrees) in order to gain abit of volume that you inherently lose with the shorter scale.
With the Pliage I had to recalculate where the new Pliage line would be for the shorter scale then bent it over the heating iron. I only put the heating iron about 2/3rds across (from the center) so that the edges were still in the correct plane to join to the sides plus it gives the top the required arch. On that guitar I bent the top in a curve back to the tailblock (as Micheal Collins does with his heat box method) but with the second one I have just bent it more at the pliage & then straight back to the tailblock, so there's quite a definate 'line' across the sounboard which looks quite cool. This guitar sounds more punchier than the first one but I changed a number of things on this second one so I couldn't say that the slightly more stressed top "definately" had an effect on the sound.
"Jesus Loves You."

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48 am

JayC wrote:welcome Nick. Absolutely fantastic work. Thanks for sharing. What finish did you use on the guitars??
Thanks Jay C for the welcome and the comment on my work :) Whilst I like making 'traditional' jazz instruments the traditionalists would cringe at my finish methods :oops: I use two pot Urethane (gasp) mainly for two reasons: 1, It is a durable and hard wearing finish & 2, because I spray in my un-heated garage and the weather here in Christchurch can be........um....... "changeable" to say the least, the Urethane is less prone to the vagueries of colder temps so I can spray pretty much at anytime (unless it's pouring with rain and blushing becomes the enemy!).
Having said that, La Castana (the tobacco burst archtop) was sprayed with nitro. I wanted to see if it did indeed make much difference to the sound and look of the instrument. Sound, You'd have to have super tuned ears to hear any difference between the two but I must admit it did seem to polish up nicely and seemed to have abit more 'depth' than the urethane, but it's too brittle for my liking and has a couple of small chips on the edges and cracks in the top already (when stringing up for the first time the top flexed as the load went on and two cracks started at the 'F' hole points) only small ones but I know they're there!

And P.S Jim...Woo Hoo, Finally worked out how to post full sized pics :serg A case of human error/ ignorance on that front .Damn inteywebby thingy. Now If I could only work out how to put me socks on in the mornings I'd be set. :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 am

Welcome to the forum Nick. I've been away on a holiday to Playmakers and just got home, so have lots of catching up to do on the forum. Seems it's been very busy while I was off line, with heaps of good info and great guitars being posted.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and going through your build . Looks very interesting.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 am

Welcome to the forum Nick. I've been away on a holiday to Playmakers and just got home, so have lots of catching up to do on the forum. Seems it's been very busy while I was off line, with heaps of good info and great guitars being posted.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and going through your build . Looks very interesting.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks for the welcome Allen. There are some great guitars being made by forum members. Might I add, I have seen your work & it is truly wonderful. :cl :cl I particularly like the Cypress Auditorium, looks GAAAWWWWGEOUS!

Not sure if it can be the same (a Cypress Macrocarpa)? But we have Macrocarpa here in NZ, it's grown specifically as a windbreak mostly on farms, then when it's chopped down is commonly used as firewood :oops:. It seems to easily split when dried out, is this a problem with the wood you use?
"Jesus Loves You."

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 am

I didn't notice any tendency for splitting. It bends like butter, and is a real treat to build with. I've got many more sets in the stash, waiting for me to put them in the build rotation. I've got just so many ones I want to try out, so it's going to be some time before I get around to building with it again. Unless a paying customer comes along. 8)
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi Nick and welcome, I'm late in also but I have no good excuse. Your work looks teriffic thanks for showing it.
Taff

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Allen- Thanks for that, it maybe that our macrocarpa isn't of the same type or even the same genus, just called macrocarpa because it looks like one. I shall have to do some checking! I too have a head full of idea's and wish lists but with a house full of guitars already, to avoid the "What do you need another guitar for?" comment I'll have to sell some first before I can create another. :cry:

Taffy- Thanks for the welcome and the comment, it's nice to hear what other builders think of your work.
"Jesus Loves You."