Digital Recording

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Digital Recording

Post by Dominic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Hey, a few people in other threads have asked for sound clips of various guitars including mine. I have no idea how to do this. I would like to get some form of recorder so I can keep a record of plate and body tap tones and finished guitars tones etc.

Does anyone have any experience with digital recording?

I read a review by Harry Fleishman on the Zoom H4 hand held. Sounds good but they cost about $550 buck here.
Is that what I am looking at to get a decent portable digital recorder?

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Dom, I have an Edirol (by Roland). It's actually the guitar widow's but I can use it. Give me a call. I pm'd you my phone number previously, let me know if you need it again.

Craig

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:57 pm

G'day Dom,

Yep the Zoom M4 is about the cheapest, portable recording unit around. There is also a Boss product that will do the same job. Just make sure what ever you buy has a built in condensor mic and a pre-amp. A Sony Disc walkman that has a record function is also another alternative but they are expensive.

I use an older Zoom digital recorder the MRS-4 which you can buy cheaply now, however you need a good condenser mic and a pre-amp to achieve good, natural recordings.

A controlled recording area is also a good idea. A unit like the M4 have very sensative inbuilt mic and it will pick up all other unwanted outside noises like the dog barking next door or street traffic.

I think the portable Zoom M4 would be an excellent choice.

Cheers

Alan

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 am

Dom,

I can borrow some rather good kit from work that will get you some samples up on the net. Give me a call.

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks guys. I like the idea of a portable DR because I can also take it with me to record bites of other people guitars or nice ones in shops etc for future reference.

I also think building at the very slow pace that we part-timers do it is hard to get a sense of flow. Even doing 10 a year (more like 5 for me) means you are only doing a top every 5 weeks or so and it is hard to remember exactly what the last one was like in order to make considered changes. I think recording tones may assist.

Craig and Graham, we are into another forecasting round at work which means long nights working and not much time for anything else.

But once things slow down a bit I mean to catch up for a chat and to show you both my latest guitars. Or you can drop over and check out my workshop, what ever.

CHeers
Dom

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:04 am

Hi all ... 'Localele' kicked off a similar thread to this one back in early December 08 ... see Recording Sound Bites to Computer.

Cheers
John M

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks John. I'll look through this thread as well.
Cheers
Dom

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 pm

The critical thing to any recording is the quality of the microphones. The electret condensors in the Zooms are OK, but a couple of decent outboard condensors will sound lots better. And of course where you put them is important as well. I can borrow an H2 or an H4 (can't remember which one we have) and a couple of Rode mics overnight and we could set up in your workshop for a recording session once the government calms down again!

We could set up Craig's Edirol as well and be able to do some comparisons

cheers
Graham McDonald

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Would love to set up a comparison of equipment. I did some fairly extensive research into the portable digital recorders for my wife (an ABC Radio producer) when she wanted to get something for recording her interviews. She had been using the station's Marantz but she always had to book it for use. Whatever we got had to have professional recording quality, quick set up & ease of use. we settled on the Edirol. It would be interesting to see how the others perform.

I've used the edirol to record bands (using her Press Pass of course), recently Nick Cave at a large gig in Sydney. It performed great, except I have to learn to stop singing ?!? along as it picks up my croak too well.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:49 pm

:) :D :lol: Craig....Craig Clancys new role as backing singer for Nick Cave.

Jim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:11 pm

Careful Graham...what if Mister Walker finds out youve been moonlighting with his recording equipment????? Methinks youll be sporting a skull ring indentation on your chops.

Graham McDonald wrote:Dom,

I can borrow some rather good kit from work that will get you some samples up on the net. Give me a call.

graham

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 am

I use a Zoom MRS-8
Plus phantom power adaptor and two large diaphram condensor mics. Nothing fancy, about $120 each in isolation mounts.

Much better than the inbuilt mic, plus you have the flexibility of placement and freedom from transmission of bumps through the stands and mounts.
And so much better than a stage type dynamic mic.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 am

The current day job is at the National Film and Sound Archive (where I collect CDs for the nation) and using some of the gear is considered professional development and would be encouraged :D

I do have some background in recording and music production and have recorded, engineered or produced quite a few LPs and CDs over the years (though admittedly most of that was pre-digital) and well as live and broadcast audio stuff.

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks for the offer guys. Sound like fun. Things should return to 'normal' soon, I'll give you a call in a few weeks.
Cheers
Dom

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:35 am

Graham McDonald wrote:The current day job is at the National Film and Sound Archive (where I collect CDs for the nation)
Geez what hard life you must have :lol:

Collecting CDs for the nation!

Nick Payne
Myrtle

Post by Nick Payne » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:18 pm

I have a Zoom H2. Cost me less than $300 a while ago from a mail order mob in Victoria. Though I see from a quick Google that the falling dollar seems to have caused an increase in price.

The results are really impressive. Apart from using it to record myself playing pieces I've also used it to record an informal guitar quartet concert. For a professional recording engineer's view of what it can achieve, see http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11501.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:14 pm

I have a Zoom H2 as well. The down side is that it looks cheesy and the controls are a bit fiddly.

The upside is that the quality is fantastic, the price is about the cheapest you'll find for a DR.

I have used it for closeup recordings of my basses, recording rock concerts (L-M-H gain switch helps!), sound effects for movies (I'm an editor) and everything in between. Just about everything the M4 has except XLRs, and what do you need them for if you're not going line-in or external mics??