Port Fairy Guitars

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Port Fairy Guitars

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Here's some pics of the guitars we took to show at the Port Fairy Folk Festival. Some were a little underdone. As you can see there are no logos in them yet. Most of them didn't get strung up until Wednesday last week so things were a little frantic.

The Coco Dread and Tiger Myrtle OOO were pre-ordered and both of the guys saw their guitars at the weekend and I'm pleased to report the were well happy with them both.

There's a Blackwood/King Billy O-model missing from the pics - I'll throw that up when I get some pics because it has some interesting features that are worth discussion.

As far as sound goes the Red Spruce OOO's have plenty of bottom end and the Dread has plenty of top end. So everyones happy.

The redwood guitar I built for myself for fingerstyl and it's very lush sounding, lots of overtones in the top end so I'm happy. :D

Tiger Myrtle OOO

Red Spruce top, Ebony Bindings, Mahogany/Blackwood/Tiger Myrtle Neck, Ebony Bridge

Blackwood/Red Spruce OOO

Bindings are Blackwood, Bridge and Fingerboard Brigalow, Blackwood neck

Cocobolo/Red Spruce Dreadnought

Cocobolo bridge and fingerboard. Thanks to Uncle Bob for getting all the Coc bits to me on time. The top was one of his as well,

Redwood/Honduras Mahogany OOO

Redwood top from Uncle bob cefalu and the hondueas Rosewood came from Steve Roberson at Colonial Tonewoods

Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Port Fairy Guitars

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:19 pm

bob wrote: There's a Blackwood/King Billy O-model missing from the pics - I'll throw that up when I get some pics because it has some interesting features that are worth discussion.
Waiting with interest on that Bob. It's like you have just written the end of a soap opera episode, we have to wait till next time to find out what those "interesting features" are.

Aside from that, another handful of smooth as silk guitars from you, thanks for the squiz.

Jim

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:42 pm

It's a pleaseure to view these guitars Bob. They are all stunning. Hard to pick my favourite. Is that the Honduran Rosewood you spoke about after your USA trip? I remember you were taken by the great tap tone.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers

Alan

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:22 am

What a bunch of gorgeous guitars, Bob! Well done! Wish I could play them!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:43 am

All stunning guitars Bob, you should be extremely proud of the work you produce. Think my favourite is the Redspruce/Blackwood OOO, something about a OOO shape, maybe it's the narrow waist :lol:
Nice touch binding the fingerboard with the same wood, is that a standard feature on your guitars?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:27 am

Very impressive Bob (and Dave). Beautiful work and stunning wood. I would love to smell them! Does the cocobolo one have that cigarbox aroma? It would also be great if you could tell us what you think of the sound of the different timbers. I've never played a tiger myrtle guitar - what are the tone characteristics? Mark

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:06 am

Great work getting this lot together in time for the festival Bob. I like them all too, especially the Blackwood with sap the Honduras RW, the Coco and the Tiger Myrtle :D

Cheers

Kim

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Love the rich colour of the coco Bob. My favourate wood. I can't wait to get into the 3 sets I got in our group by from BobC.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks for the generous words everone.

Yeah Jim - the next episode on the King Billy topped guitar might be like Blue Hills, episode 15,582. :lol:

Alan that is the Honduran Rosewood and I'm still very taken by the huge sustain when this stuff is tapped.

Nick - most of them have different binding on the neck to the fingerboard. The Tiger Myrtle one had an ebony fingerboard with ebony bindings but our binding scheme on the neck always follows what the body has been bound with.

Mark I think that the biggest influence on the sound of the instrument is it's shape, followed by the top wood and how it has been tuned and the back has the least influence. Throw into this mix that every builder will have their own sound that seems to become attached to their guitars the more they build I find it fairly difficult to pin down what these back woods actually do sound like once they've got sides and strings and things glued to them.

Most of these guitars had Red Spruce tops so they sound ballsy and fundamental with lots of head room and sustain.

For the record Tiger Myrtle sounds very similar to a cardboard carton before it is made into a guitar. Once it is constructed I don't believe that it adds much to the tone at all. It's reasonably transparent and what you are hearing is predominantly the top. Makes a nice sounding instrument though and they seem to be loud.

If you don't mind pink guitars straight grained Myrtle would probably be a better sounding wood - it certainly taps better than the Tiger variety.

To me the Tiger is a bit more punky - almost like the fungus has softened it up a bit.

It looks pretty sharp though. :?
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:54 am

Beautiful, all, Bob.
Especially taken with the Redwood/Honduras Mahogany-Rosewood.
Oh, and I really like the Tiger Myrtle.
Almost as much as the Blackwood....
But, hey, that Cocobolo, now THAT'S my favorite!

You guys are fast!

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:52 am

Looking at these has given me a bad case of choice paralysis..
All of them are just georgeous ,Bob.

Runn3r
Myrtle

Post by Runn3r » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm

...beautiful guitars Bob...

...tht Tiger Myrtle is a new one to me and quite a wondrous wood it looks like!

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:13 am

Bob, I've lost count at the number of times I've gone through this thread. Your guitars are beautiful. They have such an understated elegance. I've tried and tried to settle on just one, but I can't. Thanks for sharing them with us.

pjpalfi
Gidgee

Post by pjpalfi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:36 pm

There is so much inspirational stuff on this forum - loving it all