Koa - Kourtesy of David Hurd

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ap404
Myrtle

Koa - Kourtesy of David Hurd

Post by ap404 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 am

Anyone else find little bits of Hawaii popping up in their instruments lately ?

Thanks David, whenever I get bored scraping or sanding or whatever - I find myself sinking a few miles into the 3D world of Koa ...

I was afraid that Koa's close relationship to Blackwood might leave me itching and blistering all over but it seems to have the opposite effect and has simply spread good vibes into my little Queensland workshop.

Cheers, Anthony
i got a hot rod ford and a two dollar bill, and i know a place right over the hill ...

www.flickr.com/photos/harvesterworks

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Aloha Anthony,

"If you love them, set them free". I'm so happy that my little koa keiki (children) are well behaved and giving some modest amount of pleasure to others. One never knows what will happen when they leave home...

If anyone would like to hear what native birds in a koa forest sound like, I recommend listening to the different songs, calls and cries that I recorded for some Hawaiian native birds. Beginning here:

http://www.ukuleles.com/SaddleRoadBirdi ... gIntro.htm

follow this link:

http://www.ukuleles.com/SaddleRoadBirdi ... atHist.htm

aloha,

Dave Hurd
www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Now my dog thinks there's an I'iwi perched somewhere in the workshop ... they blend nicely with my Lefty Frizzel record that's playing here.

Thanks again David, I'll spend some more time with your bird recordings later on, but right now it's a nice rainy day for fretting. I'm trying out another Acacia family timber ... Brigalow (Acacia harpophylla cut from forests N/W of Brisbane ) for fretboards.

Cheers, Anthony
i got a hot rod ford and a two dollar bill, and i know a place right over the hill ...

www.flickr.com/photos/harvesterworks