Overkill or what?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Overkill or what?

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:47 am

This not a tutorial about fretting a fingerboard, there are many procedures already discussed and anyway we are all doing it by now, unless of course you are on your first instrument and looking forward to the joys of fretting up your pride and joy. I have done many, many fret jobs over the years, most of them refretting other guitars as part of maintenance or repair.

As my fretting bench has always been dedicated to that task all the tools I use are close at hand and as I use them they go back to the place from whence they came, after use not at the end of the job.

However, I now really enjoy working at my island bench with its good access, height, light and no room for clutter.
Whilst working on the guitar I have just refretted I noticed that I was not putting my tools or jigs, once used, back on its rack or hook. The island bench is surrounded on two sides by my “Lâ€
Taff

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Not surprised, my own collection of tools has grown incrementally too. I think back to what I had on my first refret & compare it to what I use now and it is mind bogling. I don't think the extra tools saves any less time, they just do the job better I would say. Things such as the recrowning, whereas it used to be done with a flat needle file is now done with a radius diamond file. The quality of job has improved too but maybe that's just 'cos I'm getting better at it :) Still my least favourite part of the job tho.
Mind you I will say in answer to your initial question, having seen your little pile, I'd seek some professional for that plier fettish you have there Taffy :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm just admiring that neck support you have there Taffy. I'm presuming it's use is to provide solid support for setting in the new frets?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia