Any tips for cleaning maple bindings after sanding ?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave Olds
Myrtle

Any tips for cleaning maple bindings after sanding ?

Post by Dave Olds » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:54 am

I have just finished binding a guitar - using maple bindings and BWB purfling. The back and sides are EIR. After binding I have scraped and sanded the bindings back flush to the sides.

Is there any way to avoid dirtying up the maple bindings with the rosewood dust when sanding - or any suggestions for how to clean up the bindings afterwards. They are not badly discoloured, but not as clean as i would have liked.

By the way - if you read this Bob - the Zinsser sealer worked a treat for sealing the binding channels. Thanks for that.

Dave

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 am

I used compressed air to blow them clean. Seemed to get the last bits of grit out of them.

One thing to keep in mind is that EIR will bleed color faster than you can say "Oh Shit". So be very careful when it comes time for pore filling and finishing.

Use that clear shellac to seal the bindings and purflings with a small brush, before you do any of the next steps.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Localele

Post by Localele » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:43 am

Use a nice clean brush to sweep the most of it out before the air gun.Cheers.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:51 am

I avoid sanding bindings. Ive started taping them off when sanding off the surrounding wood. When thats done I carefully scrape bindings trying as much as possible to work scraper so its going from light wood into dark wood. Ditto goes for rosette.