First post, second guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bunker
Beefwood

First post, second guitar

Post by bunker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:23 pm

Hello to everyone on ANZLF from sunny Geraldton WA. I have been a peruser of this site for quite a while now and have finally decided to post up and tell of myself and show some pics(hopefully) of my second guitar.
Not a lot of luthiers here in Gero so I have been reliant on forums such as this, OLF, MIMF etc and the Cumpiano-Natelson book to work my way through all the intrigue. Wood and parts were sourced from Australian Tonewoods and Australian Luthier supplies and Ellis Guitars, all businesses have been most impressive with their service.
The first guitar was a real learning curve but it turned out pretty good, sounds great and plays well. I have used it live a few times and it has got good reviews.
My second guitar is based on a Gibson LOO 13 fret model a la Cumpiano technique and having remembered most of the pit falls from No1 it turned out most pleasing cosmetically as well as musically. It is 25.4 scale 13 fret to body, Bunya top, WA Flame Sheoak back, sides and neck, mulga head plate, fret board and bridge. The bindings are Tas blackwood/ BWB purfling with the coloured top purflings and rosette made from green, blue, black died wood veneer and the rosette centre being Tas blackwood and beefwood. The finish is Organoil Hard Burnishing Oil burnished to 1500 grit which seems good so far. Gotoh gold tuners and a K&K Pure Western mini pick up and it's all systems go.
It has been strung up for a week now with 11/52's and is rapidly coming into a lovely rich tone with quite a bit of bottom end and an overall very balanced sound. The neck is roughly based on my D18 and is 44mm at the nut and 60mm bridge spacing.Tonight it will be getting it's live debut playing an acoustic duo gig and I shall be able to report on that at a later date.
By the way all this was done in my very rustic shed/work area with basic tools which was something that always frightened me but has turned out most relaxing and pleasing.
Couple of pics of the finished product plus one of the bracing.
Many thanks to all those I have secretly learnt from and please ask if you have any questions.
Regards
Archie

Click on image to see more at Photobucket

[img][img]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss15 ... C01390.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by bunker on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bunker
Beefwood

couple more pics

Post by bunker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:37 pm

I don't know if I,ve done this right but here a couple of more pics including the bracing one.
Archie

Sunday morning
I ended up changing all these and doing it through Photobucket so all pics should be available there. Boy, making it was the easy bit, getting the photos up is much harder.
Last edited by bunker on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey Archie,

Great to see another west aussie here, welcome to ANZLF. Hope you don't mind but I edited your post just by hitting enter between the images so there would be a space and they would display in vertical alignment down the page rather than across, this just makes the text easier for everyone to read because we don't need to scroll back and forth.

Anyhow, great looking guitar gotta love that sheoak, beautiful stuff and I reckon the bunya top is a good match up as well. When she has opened up a little we will of course expect a sound file :wink:

Cheers

Kim

bunker
Beefwood

pic edits

Post by bunker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Kim,
Thanks for that it looks much better and I'll remember next time. I will work on my mate Frank who I am playing with tonight to do something sound wise, he understands mixolydians and megabytes and is 100 times more competent than myself at both.
One thing great about WA and Gero in particular is that I don't have the massive temperature and humidity problems others have to deal with and I am able to work in the shed pretty well year round in thongs and boardies.

Archie.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Archie. Glad that you've decided to participate. The more the merrier.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:46 pm

Kim mate you must have done more than hit enter between the photos....I can see any photos :cry:

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: pic edits

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:48 pm

bunker wrote: One thing great about WA and Gero in particular is that I don't have the massive temperature and humidity problems others have to deal with and I am able to work in the shed pretty well year round in thongs and boardies.

Archie.
Welcome to the forum Archie. One of our other members likes working on his guitars in shorts....he should be along shortly to welcome you on board :D

bunker
Beefwood

Thanks

Post by bunker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks Kim and Alan,

I don't know what happened to the pictures. When I get a chance I will see if I can magic them back from whence they have disappeared.

Archie

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Kim mate you must have done more than hit enter between the photos....I can see any photos :cry:
Gee that's a pity, they were real good to Martin, you would have really really really liked them a lot, oh well, never mind. :lol:

When Michael Connor PMed me about not being able to see them I checked back and they were fine, however I did have a look at the 'properties' and I noticed that Archie has them hosted off site. I would say his server is down or if it is a freebie hosting site, everyone was looking at them at one time which exceeded the data transfer limit for that account and now we have a broken kink until the data limit is refreshed.

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi Archie and welcome to the ANZLF!

It looks like perhaps Edith stifled your photos but we all can't wait to see them when you get it figured out. Feel free to ask any of us for assistance in uploading photos.

Welcome aboard.

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:22 pm

Welcome, Archie, to ANZLF. It looks to me like the may not have been used when posting the html location of the image, though I could be wrong. I was once before! :D

Looks like I may have been wrong. I checked some other hosted images, and the properties don't show the code either. So, Never Mind! Except for the welcome, of course!
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:43 am

Welcome to ANZLF Archie, pity I can't see the picies but hopefully that gets sorted out & we get to see your latest pride & joy.
There are some great builders that frequent this forum so, like me, I hope the 'woody' atmosphere around here provides you with plenty of inspiration.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:52 am

Kim wrote:..... and now we have a broken kink
Ray Davies with a limp?? :D

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 am

G'day Archie and welcome to the ANZLF.

Well I can see your pics and it looks like a damn fine instrument to me.

Congratulations.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:17 am

bob wrote: Well I can see your pics and it looks like a damn fine instrument to me.

Congratulations.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Looks like only the Admin boys can see them! Hmmm.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 am

Nick bro maybe Bob has been visiting LeFridge a bit much today..... :D

I just got two new pairs of glasses yesterday and a special, HUGE pair for shop use. These things look like the headlights that Corado Soprano wears and I still can't see any pics..... :shock: :D

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Kim wrote:..... and now we have a broken kink
Ray Davies with a limp?? :D
That reminds me, Dave Davies was pulled off stage and landed on me and my mate, guitar and all at a Kinks concert when I was in high school. We helped push him back on stage and he gave as a big thumbs up at the end. We felt so cool. 8)

Yes, and I wanna see the pics.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:55 am

There's nothing in the forum software that is stopping anyone from seeing the pics ( as far as I know)

Try pasting this into a web browser address bar.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VupUgbdUe7c/S ... C01340.JPG

If you can't see anything it's a problem at your end.

If you can see it, it may a probelem at this end and I'll look into it further.

Archie, if you want, I'll edit the posts and put the pics locally on our server.

It won't happen for a while tough - I'm of to the shed. :D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VupUgbdUe7c/S ... C01340.JPG
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

bunker
Beefwood

the pics

Post by bunker » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks Bob,
I don't know what's happening. I had html links to a Picasa web album to start with and then changed them this morning to links to my blog site pictures but that seems to be playing up as well. When I get a bit more time I will do them through my Westnet server photo facility and see if that improves things.
By the way the gig last night went great. I am most impressed with the K&K pickups in both my new guitars and I am thinking of giving the thinline in my D18 the flick and putting in one with a new saddle.
Hope the next move works.
Archie

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:04 am

Not Found

The requested URL /_VupUgbdUe7c/SdrmNFl03wI/AAAAAAAABCA/ifIC-oQo2Js/s1600/DSC01390.JPG was not found on this server.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:42 am

G'day Archie,

Welcome to the forum mate. I can't view your guitar pictures either!! Hmmm!!

Like you I love the K&K mini western pickups. I have one in an old Regal Parlor, a weissenborn copy and my 000 acoustic and they sound natural and full. Love em!!!

Enjoy the forum as it is a great place to learn with some very fine guitar builders here who are quick to help and good advice anytime. All you have to do is post a question.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:46 am

Did that work? Yep

Now, I can see them all in both my post and his. Can anyone else see them. What I did was add the Image
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi and welcome Archie, nice looking guitar there, that she oak is beautiful. oh and I can see the pics now by clicking your thumbnail and going off site.

Waddy I can't see the images you posted though.

Jim

bunker
Beefwood

weird pictures

Post by bunker » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Waddy,

Thanks for your help, but I have been trying to change the pictures over the last hour in between doing other things and while I was organising Photobucket you obviously fixed them and then I deleted them anyway, better than comedy. Your assistance is much appreciated. Thanks again to all for the welcome.
Archie.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Okay, I can see the one at the top, but I can't see any of Waddy's. The one at the top is itty bitty. I need to borrow Hesh's glasses.