Queensland Maple

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

xray
Blackwood

Queensland Maple

Post by xray » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Hey guys, i have stumbled accross a very nice deal on my trip to queensland and i have found some outstanding quality queensland maple back and sides which i have bought with the intention of resawing and offering when i get the chance in the next few months to the good people here first. The deal was too good to buy only enough for myself so i endulged and did as any red blooded guitar guy would do and bought ten times too much for what i need. (Martin still has me covered by a long way though). I will be posting in the buy swap and sell section and will post enough photos of actual sets when i get the chance. Some of the stump ends are the most highly fiddle backed pieces of qld maple i have ever seen and im ultra excited. Anyway if you guys are keen to pick up some sets at a very reasonable price give me some motivation to get moving and act sooner rather than later. Photos will be in the next few weeks and hopefully sooner. cheers Andy Oh by the way im in Central Western nsw, which is convenient for postage.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:05 pm

anything big enough for double bass? like, around 48" x 12" for backs, 62" x 9" for sides?

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:41 am

Well your pitch has got me Andy,
make mine fifths........

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:43 am

You have my attention! I do like Queensland Maple to work with. Some of the Maton CW 80s I have seen and played have great tone as they are Queensland Maple back and sides.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:50 am

I'm interested.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 am

Ditto :D

cheers, Stu

steve_I
Beefwood

Post by steve_I » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:56 am

I'd be interested as well.

Regards,
Steve.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 am

Martin's a bit slow off the mark today! Usually clamped down on the whole lot by now 8) Life on the rig must be busy at the mo.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 am

Nick O wrote:Martin's a bit slow off the mark today! Usually clamped down on the whole lot by now 8) Life on the rig must be busy at the mo.
Nah, don't worry about Martin Nick, he's no doubt plotting as we speak to make an approach to Andy that will see him secure the lot.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 am

Kim wrote:
Nick O wrote:Martin's a bit slow off the mark today! Usually clamped down on the whole lot by now 8) Life on the rig must be busy at the mo.
Nah, don't worry about Martin Nick, he's no doubt plotting as we speak to make an approach to Andy that will see him secure the lot.
Probably already hired a private jet (or Rig helicopter) and is at this very moment standing on Andy's door step with the cash in his hand :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Nick O wrote:
Kim wrote:
Probably already hired a private jet (or Rig helicopter) and is at this very moment standing on Andy's door step with the cash in his hand :lol:
Yeah Nick, cash in one hand, BRW baseball bat in the other 8)

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Kim wrote:Yeah Nick, cash in one hand, BRW baseball bat in the other 8)
:lmao :lmao :lmao
"Jesus Loves You."

James Mc
Blackwood

Post by James Mc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:52 pm

I already have more wood than I have time or projects to use it on, but It's an addiction so I'd be interested... I really need to see about getting some shock treatment.

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Im keen mate, Im always keen to get wood.
Carpe Diem

xray
Blackwood

Post by xray » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:04 pm

It sounds reasuring guys, plenty of concern about the tonewood burglar martin though! haha. ill be probably organising to take a picture of the different grades of timber and cross reference the grades with allen mcfarlaine and bob connor (to which they both have no idea about this yet) and take a group order under the appropriate grading pictures and try to work it that way. This should give quality assurance to the group and provide me with less hassles with bits and pieces of postage. Any problems that this may have let me know and i will consider this. Also what sizes do people mainly want? im thinking of just leaving it at dreadnaught size and it should cover everyones needs except matthew.
I have PM'ed matthew with some interesting info also.
I have absolutely no idea on costing yet either, due to resawing costs and processing shipping etc. I am thinking of 3.5 mm final thickness also. does this worry anyone?

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:37 pm

Those sizes sound good to me mate.
Carpe Diem