Cactus Bum's First Guitar Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

cactus bum
Myrtle

Cactus Bum's First Guitar Build

Post by cactus bum » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:52 am

Howdy everybody, I'm Michael the Cactus Bum from Arizona. This is my first guitar project. I have some woodworking experience with fine furniture making and generally just like to make sawdust.

I am attempting two guitars. One is from plans for a Martin size 5 Terz. It will have a spruce soundboard and Pao Ferro back and sides. This guitar will be true to the plans mostly, except both guitars will have 14 frets to the neck instead of 12, and have a slightly longer scale length.

The other guitar will have the same body size and neck as the Terz, but will have very different bracing, a double laminated lightly braced soundboard, and be made with an Alligator Juniper soundboard and mahogany back and sides. The Alligator, an Arizona native, is from a tree I cut ten years ago. It is similar to cedar. The mahogany is from book shelves my wife grew up with in her home in Houston. Three of the shelves were quartered very nicely. I am basing this design on the Outdoor guitar made by a Swiss outfit at www.brunner-guitars.com. Brunner's outdoor guitar is a removeable neck travel guitar. I probably won't make my neck detachable,as airlines now allow me to bring a parlour size onboard as a carry on. I am making my plan from what I can see on their website of how they build their guitars.

DISCLAIMER: The guitar build may take some time to complete, so bear with me. Also, I usually spend half the year away and have no shop to play in, so the build will take at least twice as long as usual for a newby such as myself. Also, I don't know if these two guitars are my FIRST guitars, or my ONLY guitars. I am cutting some corners the professionals would not, such as my funky mold. IF I build a dread in the future I promise I will make a pretty mold for it.

The beginning stages of the build were not documented. A guitar friend, Bob Steidl, resawed the material for me. I, probably unnecessarily, stickered it for the six months I was out of the country. Also, the building of my Fox bender, bending pipes, and guitar mold were not documented.

I have tried to get good pics and have tried to judge how big they should be. If I am taking too much storage space and if my photos should be smaller, please tell me. Any advice or help in taking better photos is welcome.

Most photos will speak for themselves. I will try to anticipate any unanswered questions in the photo and give some explination where necessary.

In order to give the complete story of this build I am starting with pics of my shop. Some of you have seem some of these shots before in another post, so just skip ahead if you like.

This is the bat cave where wood and bits and pieces are kept. It is the third bay of the three car garage that is now my shop.

I put a machinist square to it to see how my jointer is doing.

A little warm water at the right time makes it easier later.

KERFING LININGS
For safety I routed my quarter round on the board, then ripped the lining to thickness.

Flap sand the lining

I used a bit of broken off saber saw blade to give me my spacing.

These Alligator Juniper kerfed linings should give me the best smelling guitar body in Arizona.

All for now. I am pretty thick skinned, so please holler if you know something I should know. Always open to advice. Cheers, Cactus
Michael Pollard, but you can call me Cactus

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:30 am

Hi Cactus,

Pretty neat looking shed there mate! I think you may need a 1/8' flat chisel sooner or later but didnt notice one hanging up. Seriously, I look forward to watching your build!
make mine fifths........

cactus bum
Myrtle

Post by cactus bum » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:43 am

Sebastian, Chisels are in the drawer below the bench. I like to keep sharp objects out of sight for safety. My 1/8" chisel is there. My wish list includes many lutherie tools and jigs, etc. Cactus

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:46 am

Thanks for documenting this Michael. It takes a lot of extra time to do this, and I think everyone appreciates seeing how others get all the steps in building a guitar done.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:53 am

Like your kerfing jig there Michael, nice & simple that even I can understand it 8) I think you should seek professional assistance for that tool fetish though :lol: :lol: No, well equiped shop there Cactus, if ya can't find the right piece of kit in amongst that lot there's something wrong although I didn't notice any used coffee mugs or beer cans! How can you build without the essentials?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:07 am

cactus bum wrote:Sebastian, Chisels are in the drawer below the bench. I like to keep sharp objects out of sight for safety. My 1/8" chisel is there. My wish list includes many lutherie tools and jigs, etc. Cactus
Mate, that is a seriously impressive workshop, take no notice of a jealous smart arse Aussie,
make mine fifths........

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 am

Yep, that's a serious shop there mate! You will roll some dam fine instruments out of there I bet! I'm using a spare bedroom and the kitchen bench for my building at present. I have a workshop planned in the next month or so for my single car garage which is 3 meter by 10 meter. At present the work bench is being constructed. Looking forward to my own working space.

I will be watching your build with great interest.

Thanks for the pics.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

cactus bum
Myrtle

Post by cactus bum » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 am

Sebastiaan, My tongue is usually placed firmly in my cheek. When I said I like to keep sharp objects out of sight did you feel something pulling at your leg? Also, in three visits to OZ totaling 19 months I have met more than a few Aussies with a sense of humor. The most humorous often had pints (or middies for you from the deep north) in their hand. I was a barman in the Whitsundays, I know. None of it bothers me.

Alan, If all my shop time were spent with guitar making I could probably do it in a single car garage. It's the other projects that take so much space. Take some pictures as your new shop progresses. I am keen to see into other shops. New ideas come from everywhere.

Nick, This design for the kerfing jig I stole from Taffy. He, or the person he got the idea from, deserves the credit, not me. Thanks for the interest.

I believe this is my 42nd post, not my 41st. When I reach a thousand I don't want to miss my gift of a toaster. I should notify management maybe. Cactus
Last edited by cactus bum on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:52 am

Now Michael my friend how do you ever expect me to Photoshop you when you post this pic?

Everything is looking great - cool shop! :serg

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:53 pm

cactus bum wrote:I believe this is my 42nd post, not my 41st. When I reach a thousand I don't want to miss my gift of a toaster. I should notify management maybe. Cactus
No need Cactus, here's your toaster you just have to provide the marshmallows. You'll notice we even chuck in fireworks!
We use Martin's offcast Back & side sets for that year to fuel it.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus Loves You."

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:13 pm

cactus bum wrote:Sebastiaan, My tongue is usually placed firmly in my cheek. When I said I like to keep sharp objects out of sight did you feel something pulling at your leg? Also, in three visits to OZ totaling 19 months I have met more than a few Aussies with a sense of humor. The most humorous often had pints (middies to you from the deep north) in their hand. I was a barman in the Whitsundays, I know. None of it bothers me.
Does that mean we can call you "Bum"?
make mine fifths........

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Was going to suggest something else but in the interests of good taste I'll crack another tinny and hold me tongue :oops:
"Jesus Loves You."