Strung Up #2 Last Night!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WaddyT
Blackwood

Strung Up #2 Last Night!

Post by WaddyT » Wed May 27, 2009 1:31 am

Well, I finally got there. I strung up #2 (The Guitar Build from Hell), last night. EIR, German Spruce, Lacewood bindings, Mahogany neck, Romanillos bracing and plantilla, Gilbert Tuning Machines. The reason, for those of you who don't get to other forums much, is: 1 - this is the third neck with a v-joint that I did, as I screwed the first two doing the easy part, of slotting for the sides. Tried to use a table saw, and it didn't work. 2- This is the third rosette. Two major failures to get it in tight. This one still has a couple of little gaps in the white purfling, but hey, it's hand made. 3- Had to rip the back off after gluing, and replace the center back brace. Big dip in the back. It's better now, but still not perfect. There are also other little things, like, when I was cleaning up the neck after installing the fingerboard, I had a chip out right at the V-joint, joint, and it was somewhere in all the curls and chips on the floor where I was working. It took a while, but I found it and glued it back......I don't think it's going to show. Lucky me! Now, I have noticed that there is a crack in the nut that goes through. I thought it was just discoloration, as I am using unbleached bone on this one. Oh well, I have to take it apart to put finish on anyway. I'm glad to get it off my bench, except for finishing. Here are a few pics of it.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 am

And, just for fun, here's the front of the headstock.
Waddy

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed May 27, 2009 5:48 am

Nice job WadMan, if you hadn't pointed out the faults I never would have seen (although I still can't see any even after being told!). Should come up nice with a coat of jam on that EIR. I also like the little 'extra's' on your headstock too,the tuners fit in real nice with the style of the whole headstock. I've been watching your trials with it over at TLC so know some of the patience you've shown. :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed May 27, 2009 7:44 am

Nice work Waddy.

Methinks you may be a little too critical of your work. I doubt whether any of it will be noticed.

I really like your treatment of the back of the headstock. Very unique
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed May 27, 2009 7:55 am

She may have fought you Waddy but I am certain that you two are to become best of friends now. I REALLY like the headstock, now that is unique and tasteful as is the guitar as a whole.

Well done and start building another soon :wink:

Cheers

Kim

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Wed May 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks, guys, I'm pretty happy with it right now, but I'm pooped. I have another set of parts made up for #3, and it can go into the solera now. The top is ready to be braced. It's going to be Lutz Spruce and Bubinga, with a Spanish Cedar Neck.
Waddy

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed May 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Too critical indeed. That's a fine looking instrument. And I bet that you'll completely forget all the challenges that it gave you within a few months.

I love the colors in that rosette. Very tasteful indeed. Going to look great under finish.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Tasty work there Waddy......nice work on the headstock and I love the Gilbert tuners.

Interesting to read of the failure of the back brace...I had exactly the same thing happen to me on classical No 3. Two more new backs followed.....scraped through bindings and then had problems with silicon contamination during french polish job.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed May 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Fine instrument Waddy. Well worth the perserverance, blood, sweat, tears and inevitable swear jar. :D

What mistakes? You mean the details deliberately added to authenticate its handmade status as opposed to factory produced?? :wink: All Class...

Jeremy.

obmit
Blackwood

Post by obmit » Wed May 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Nice git.

Funny thing last night I finally got on to another luth forum and i actually had a good look through your v neck topic waddy.

How bazar.

Cheers

Tim
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/ImBroken8/annoyingbug.gif[/img]
http://holeshotnitro.com/

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Thu May 28, 2009 12:01 am

You guys are all too kind. It held up well at ensemble practice last night. I am a bit disturbed by a bit of tubbiness in the G string (NO, not that G-String, though the word combination fits nicely! :D ), but it's probably the strings. I put Medium tension DiAddario's EJ-45's on, and I'm used to playing carbon strings. Big difference. I may have to put some carbons on to see what the difference is. I suppose I could just change the G. Nah, that just seems too easy. Why make it easy now?
Waddy