Brasilian Rosewood on eBay

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Brasilian Rosewood on eBay

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:01 pm

If anyone is interested. Not for me, but someone might like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brazilian-Rosewo ... dZViewItem
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:29 pm

I reckon you would want to be game putting the upper end of those sides to an iron, could be OK but you would always have that fear of separation in the back of your mind and I reckon if it did not fail initially, it would eventually.

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:46 pm

There's this bloke as well selling D nigra out of Indonesia.

Check the ones that say "a kind of Brazilain Rosewood"

I have heard that there are plantations of Brazilian in Indo.

Looks more like Indian Rosewood to me but he maintains it's not and his feedback is good.

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/braz ... sofocusZbs

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:56 pm

A kind of Brazilian Rosewood?? Surely if its bldi D niagra then by definition it IS Brazilian Rosewood.

Regardless, he's in the US so I think there'd be issues shipping back to Oz unless you can convince the Ozzie quarantine boys that the stuff hasnt come from Brazil.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Yeah, well I got a kind of brazilian too, but you realy don't want to go there. :lol:

Seriously, it may well be like champagne, if you make a white bubbly wine using traditional methods, and the you reckon it's OK to call it champagne, your going to get your ass sued.

This stuff looks the real deal, it is just sawn through and through or slab cut so it includes the heart in the centre of each side of the plates, there is even a bit of heart included in the side plates.

The lack of colour makes me think that it is like the coffee plantation windrow EIR mentioned earlier, lots of water, lots of nutrient, planted too close so it grows real fast competing for light. I suspect what you see here is small logs from trees that have lost the race and are being culled out to make room for the winners to expand and provide good wood way down the track.

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:21 am

There has been an investigation by both the Brazilians and the Americans into BRW sold on EBay in the states. THis is occurring right now according to the news.

As a result the US authorities are probably really looking at what crosses the border in respect to BRW and arrests have been made. Even Allied, an old respected dealer has relabeled all of their BRW "stump wood."

If the seller, wood, and destination have nothing to do with Brazil or the US other then never really knowing what you are going to receive, if anything at all, it's probably as safe as brushing your teeth with a chain saw......

Just don't want to see any of my bros here get busted or burned or both.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:44 am

Yeah, well I got a kind of brazilian too, but you realy don't want to go there.
I can't tell you how thankful we are too! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: