binding jig of sorts

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:55 am

Allen wrote: The whole thing didn't cost more than 10 bucks, and that is including the stubbies that it took to lubricate me....I mean wash down the dust. It' gets awfully hot up here :lol:
Cheap beer huh? Its obviously XXXX :lol:

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:37 am

I'll never tell :D

McLaren Vale Shiraz is my favorite, but don't drink that and work with sharp tools at the same time.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed May 27, 2009 7:19 am

Allen wrote:Here's mine. Most of the time it's stored under some of the other clutter. I just dug it out to show you my set up. The guitar is clamped in a cradle and the trimer is run around the perimeter. I use a Cutter with bearings. You could also mount it permanently to the wall if that's an option for you.

It's pretty well a no brainer and changed one of the most frightening parts of building for me into one I look forward to.

It's built from some unknown species of local hardwood that I found in the tip shop. I think that they were slats from a bed frame from under the matress. The pivots are just 1/4" steel rod pounded into a really snug whole. Works for hard wood, but wouldn't be acceptable in soft wood. And then some 1'2" threaded rod for the other bits. Some scrap perspex from the tip shop as well for the trimmer mount. The base plate that I use is some walnut that I knocked together. You could use almost any type of set up for this. If I had of thought of the large steel washer I probably would have done that.

The whole thing didn't cost more than 10 bucks, and that is including the stubbies that it took to lubricate me....I mean wash down the dust. It' gets awfully hot up here :lol:
I have been looking for a better solution and this looks like it. I like the way that you have used the drill press as a platform. Basically it can hang on the wall the other 99% of the time that you are not binding! Very clever Allan. Thanks from John

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed May 27, 2009 4:39 pm

No worries John. Not my idea. I stole it from someone else, and I'm sorry to say I don't recall who it was now.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Fri May 29, 2009 7:28 am

This is what you're looking for

Lint article by Dan Fogert
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

Chopper
Beefwood

Post by Chopper » Fri May 29, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Gratay,
A word of caution, if that laminate trimmer is the model I think it is please be careful how you place it down after use as the switch is not guarded and can turn itself on accidently. I swapped mine out of the same sort of jig as yours and put it in the Stew-Mac jig and could'nt be happier with the results. Another tip when using your jig, I found if I placed the the lower bearing against the side first at an angle and then fed the upper bearing and cutter into the the side it was less risky.
Cheers Chopper

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri May 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Hey Chopper. Got that one right but maybe a lot of other models are also unsafe and it serves as a general safety warning.

I was changing the bearing on my binding cutter about 6 months ago and while I was holding the cutter in my left hand it rocked the 'safety' switch on.
I felt a sharp vibration that twisted my thumb and index finger off the blade making an absolute mess of them in the process. Blood everywhere and a very bad looking mess when I got the courage to peer underneath the bundle of bloody paper towels but somehow nothing was missing.

Lucky lucky lucky, always inplug the router stupid!!! Dumb safety switch. Even more Dumber operator.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

obmit
Blackwood

Post by obmit » Sat May 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:Graham my friend most builders are generally not pleased with Dremels for cutting binding channels and favor laminate trimmers.

Here is my jig. I am thrilled with it and you can actually cut perfect binding channels blind folded and it's been done too by another builder.

This is very nice!

I also like the look of your festool collection in da back ground.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/ImBroken8/annoyingbug.gif[/img]
http://holeshotnitro.com/

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat May 30, 2009 12:54 pm

obmit wrote:
Hesh1956 wrote:Graham my friend most builders are generally not pleased with Dremels for cutting binding channels and favor laminate trimmers.

Here is my jig. I am thrilled with it and you can actually cut perfect binding channels blind folded and it's been done too by another builder.

This is very nice!

I also like the look of your festool collection in da back ground.
Is that?...... It can't be :shock: surely not :shock: ..... Hey Heshie, you haven't cleaned your shop mate, I can see shavings! That's disgraceful :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Tom West
Myrtle

Post by Tom West » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:46 am

Hi Grant: First time posting on this forum. Also use a jig similar to what you are showing,except no bearings and a bigger footprint around the bit. Works very nice,but have to pay very close attention to keeping things vertical and not slipping off of the edge of the box. This is especially true on the convex curves.Try your and see how it works ,but I would suggest you do away with the washer,put on a larger foot of aluminum and taper the foot to match your greatest slope on the back of your guitar. Good Luck Tom.

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Nick O, I noticed your dust extractor in the background (it is the same as mine) what are the stacks on top of it, it looks like its an extension of the extraction system

Cheers

Ricardo

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:25 am

Ricardo wrote:Nick O, I noticed your dust extractor in the background (it is the same as mine) what are the stacks on top of it, it looks like its an extension of the extraction system

Cheers

Ricardo
Not mine Ricardo, I was just quoting obmit's post but the setup is Hesh's. My system is a little more "down & dirty" :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.