Shape of Side Bending Mould - Fox Style Bender

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Shape of Side Bending Mould - Fox Style Bender

Post by Kim Strode » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:18 pm

I am about to make a replacement side bending mould to go into a Fox Style Bending Unit. This new shape is for a new classic guitar I am about to build. I am interested in the general view of wether the mould shape needs to be tighter in its curvature than the finished guitar, to allow for the sides bending back a little after they are removed from the bender. Kim
:?:

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:33 pm

We allow about 5mm at the waist and 10mm at each end to allow for springback Kim.

We've had success lately by bending a side, leaving it in the bender overnight and then giving it another cook the next day.

Bob

My molds are not compensated but I think that the added compensation is a good idea.

The key thing though is what Bob mentioned and that is multiple heating and "complete" cooling cycles. I do something very much like Bob.

I bend the wood in the bender and wait at least 1.5 hours until it is completely cool. Then I cook it again for say 5 minutes and then leave it in the bender overnight. The objective is to get the wood fibers to relax in a bent state. Some people I know could benefit from this too...... (like me).....
:lol:

In addition, even though I use very little water to bend the second baking helps to get rid of any remaining moisture.

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:56 pm

I would totally agree with Bob in all respects. All I need now are about three or four heat blanket and I will be right.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]