Talked to Kim!!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Talked to Kim!!!

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:43 pm

A few days ago I received a phone call from Kim!!!!!

Even though Kim and I have been OLF M8s for a couple of years it was great to put a voice to Kim.

A couple of weeks ago Bob Connor called me too and that was a great time as well.

In both cases I knew that I was talking to some of the most decent and funniest guys that I know.

Not to be condescending here but I have noticed that you guys from down under have some characteristics that are not all that common in the states.

You are funny as hell.

You give a damn about people.

You are bright as can be.

And you are very friendly.

How refreshing!!!!

Many thanks guys and maybe one of these days I can visit you and see for myself your beautiful country and the land of killer tonewood.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:43 am

Watch out Hesh. If you come for a visit, you might never leave.

I just had a look at your web site. Don't know if it's new 'cause I hadn't visited it before, but just wanted to let you know it looks great. I've just updated mine from just a building blog. I've put it off for ages 'cause it just takes so much time that's better spent making sawdust and drinking beer. It needs lots more work, and I'll get to it someday. :roll:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:55 am

Hi Hesh,

Well, we fooled you huh! I whinge about this country and then I look at the alternatives. I spent a bit of time in Texas and I have to say that they are great folk too. Im sure it is the same everywhere.

We have our share of a-holes. Here is the biggest crowd, http://www.ato.gov.au/ and our PM was nominated as Deputy Sherrif by your own GW so its not entirely the land of Myrle and Blackwood. But Im glad Im not in Pakistan, or Iran, or Africa, or, or, or.....

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:14 am

It was great talking with you to Hesh, a very comfortable and enlightening conversation between kindred spirits. Good thing I am a cheap bugger though and have a VOIP phone sever. We chatted for an hour and 40min and it only cost just over a buck! I reckon that call would have cost me pretty close to a pack of Stewmac nut files had I been using a standard phone connection. :lol:

Cheers

Kim

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Some months ago, I got a surprise call from one of my online bass-building mates in Oregon and yes, it was good to have a real chat.

This guy Chet just put me onto welders' "tip cleaners", $5 a set from welders supplies, as nut files. They are a bit delicate and won't last as long as real nut files, but they don't clog and at $5 a set I'm laughing!

So I'm sharing ...

cheers

Matthew

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 pm

I can understand how good you both felt, i had the chance to talk with Hesh on the phone a couple of times in the last couple of years and it is good to hear the voices of our mates.

I had the chance to also talk with Rod True, Ron Wisdom, Shane Neifer, Mike Spencer and Alain many times of course and i have exchanged PMs and hundreds of e-mails with fellow builders but nothing compares to when you meet your pals face to face, the bond strengtens in a mighty way.

Right on guys! :cl :cl :cl

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:09 pm

Great tip Mathew, thanks.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Yeah, good tip.

Why didn't I think of that, must have used those things a million times.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Sounds like you guys had a good yarn and a few laughs I'll bet. It's great to put a voice to the written word .

Mathew , I've been using those tip cleaners for a long while now. They don't cut all that well surprisingly , but you get there eventually. I've used them on the bottom of nut slots , and bridge slot as well.

The problem with them is because they easily bend , you can end up with a curved slot. My brain has been working on attaching them to something like a jewelers saw setup , where I can keep them under tension to keep them straight. It would work for the nut but not the bridge :roll:

Cheers , Craig

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:24 pm

How about epoxy onto the edge of a feeler gauge blades?

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:39 pm

Yes , that's pretty good Kim (clever bugger ). A thickish guage . Won't fit in the bridge pin slot though , so half a cigar :lol:

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm

Craig L wrote:Yes , that's pretty good Kim (clever bugger ). A thickish guage . Won't fit in the bridge pin slot though , so half a cigar :lol:
For the bridge slots maybe use an old string of the appropriate gauge as a cord saw, one hand in the sound-hole, the other directly above the bridge pin hole, the thinner slots could be done with the tip cleaners glued to a cheap Chinese needle file and all can then be finished with abrasive cord or cutting compound impregnated into butchers string and heavy cotton as used to bind fishing rod runners.

Just a thought :D

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:33 am

Kim wrote:
Craig L wrote:Yes , that's pretty good Kim (clever bugger ). A thickish guage . Won't fit in the bridge pin slot though , so half a cigar :lol:
For the bridge slots maybe use an old string of the appropriate gauge as a cord saw, one hand in the sound-hole, the other directly above the bridge pin hole, the thinner slots could be done with the tip cleaners glued to a cheap Chinese needle file and all can then be finished with abrasive cord or cutting compound impregnated into butchers string and heavy cotton as used to bind fishing rod runners.

Just a thought :D

Cheers

Kim
Not only a good thought Kim it works too. I do this with the nut and the bridge, ramp slots for the strings that are wound. I use old strings of the respective gage and floss the slots to smooth them. It works great!

Great minds Kim!!!!