Recommendation - Best Guitar Strings

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Recommendation - Best Guitar Strings

Post by Kim Strode » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Believe it or not, I make guitars for my son, and at the moment cannot play a guitar. I am looking for a recommendation for the best strings for both acoustic and classic guitar. At the moment we are using D'Addario EJ26 Custom Light strings for the acoustic and D'Addario EJ45LP strings for Classic. While both sets of strings produce a good sound when they are new, they seem to wear out very quickly. Also the classic strings stretch a lot while they are wearing in. I am looking for advice?

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Personally I like your choices a great deal and think that you picked very well.

You can go with strings that last longer but IMO they don't sound as good and you are stuck with poorer sounding strings for a longer time.

Coated strings are the rage now and for new players they are easier on the fingers. But the highs kind of suck and sound muted to me.

I use D'Adario lights (steel string) and always have.

DR strings are very long lasting but less flexible and tend to tear up your hand more.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:28 pm

I use GHS lights, which are equal to some mediums. They run from 12 to 54 and last a good long time for me.

Ron

Alain
Myrtle

Post by Alain » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:52 pm

I've used many kinds but a few stick out more.

I've tried the 'nano' web Elixirs and they lasted a long time but they didn't have the tone and sustain of my favorites, John Pearse's (mediums). Medium strings, although a touch harder to play will always give you better tone and volume than lighter strings. I hate playing lights. I also like Thomastik Infelds but I've had problems with the A string unwinding at the posts...

It's always a good idea to change string frequently, even if you don't play your instruments all that much. Time alone will oxidize them. Also, maybe your son has alkaline sweat. I've seen some brand new strings rendered completely dead and lifeless in about 20-30 minutes of playing by someone (who isn't allowed to play with my new strings, by the way...) with acid sweat... I'll change my strings after 10-15 hours of playing, so that's about every week or so... (hear that Hesh??? LOL)

I found that washing my hands with dish soap always helps a bit and so does wipping the strings after I'm done playing. Some claim a bit of oil (fret board synthetic???) helps also.
'Hunting sober is like ...fishing...sober'

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:30 pm

Billy uses Ernie Ball acoustics!! Medium light, 12's. I just tried the GHS they lasted forever but didn't have the bite from the first place!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:45 pm

I've use D'addario Custom lights and like them alot. I've got their extra lights #Ej15's on my cutaway right now and they are nice, but I prefer the custom lights. I've used the GHS's as well, but find the D'Addario's to be brighter especially in the trebles.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:19 am

I'm not of fan of coated strings ...prefer phosphor bronze
I like these 3

DR phosphor bronze rare's
John Pearse
Thomastik-Infield

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:45 am

I also like the John Pearse strings but since the big group
buy of D'addarios', I have been using nothing but
D'addario lights which are very good strings IMO too!
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Recommendation - Best Guitar Strings

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:02 am

showtell wrote:Also the classic strings stretch a lot while they are wearing in. I am looking for advice?
This fairly common, nylon stretches a bit more than steel. I generally use Savarez strings on my classicals....the ones in the red packet (think theyre fortes).

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:44 pm

I wasn't part of the group buy at the OLF but i still buy them d,ADDARIOS and love them, they yield nice sound.
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Alain wrote: maybe your son has alkaline sweat. I've seen some brand new strings rendered completely dead and lifeless in about 20-30 minutes of playing by someone (who isn't allowed to play with my new strings, by the way...) with acid sweat...
So, if the son has alkaline sweat, if he shares the guitar with someone who has acid sweat, will that cancel the problem out?

Maybe this is something that needs to be printed on a driver's licence.

Blood Group: A, Rhesus Positive
Sweat: 20/30 Alkaline
Organ Donor
Guitar Neutraliser
Member: ANZLF