Somogyi Vid

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Somogyi Vid

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:28 pm

Found this link on one of those 'other' forums that some, if not all, of you may have already seen but I thought it worth posting here for those that haven't.
http://www.customguitarvideo.com/2009/0 ... omogyi-01/

It's the first in a series, apparently, of video's Ervin Somogyi did with this guy. First time I've listened to him(although I have heard plenty about him and his guitars) & I like him :) Despite his reputation he doesn't say "you should do this & you should do that" as some "masters" tend to. He seems quite modest and accepts that everybody has different ways of doing things.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 pm

I bought his books Nick, they are very good

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Ricardo wrote:I bought his books Nick, they are very good
Thanks Ricardo, I had wondered what they were like, very expensive for the two, time I buy & ship them with our New Zealand pacific peso (about NZ$230 each!), but was wondering if the "Making a responsive guitar" would be the one to get if I only got one at this stage? as it approaches more from the building side rather than the theoretical side....or are the two inter-linked?
"Jesus Loves You."

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Nick buddy I agree with Rich that the books are VERY good! There is nothing else like them available and I have been reading and rereading mine for a couple of weeks now.

The first book that Ervin suggests that you read is the Responsive Guitar and after reading it I would agree that you really need both books. Not to sound overly simplistic here but when considering Ervin's view of what a responsive guitar is had I not read his first book we would not have been on the same page and the second book would have not made as much sense to me. So I would recommend both books read in order too.

When lurking on other forums you will find in discussions about Ervin and his books how some folks, usually folks who have not read his books, find that the lack of a specific blueprint i.e. do this, do that, make this this high, etc. is objectionable. I beg to differ with these folks in as much as and with no disrespect intended I am not looking to build a Somogyi guitar. Instead I want to find my own way with my own guitars and Ervin's books are very helpful in this respect because they provide tons of info and more importantly get the reader thinking on their own and not just trying to follow a plan.

Regarding cost of course everyone should do what makes sense to them and their own financial situation. But if one can afford a $200 back and side set my recommendation would be to hold off on the wood and get the books - you will not be sorry.

Cumpiano and Natelson's book became the defacto standard of the basics of building a guitar I suspect that Ervin's books will become the defacto standard of learning over time and with experience to build a great sounding guitar.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks For the comment Hesh. I certainly do want to purchase them too and read them. Strangely our currency is going in the right direction for a US dollar purchase. :D

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:50 am

I'm with Hesh! I have been taking my time going through "The Responsive Guitar", and find it to be very informative. Ervin is good at making you understand how to think more than giving a good blueprint. He tells you how he measures things and why, but doesn't give the numbers. I am really liking his approach, and have found myself saying, "That's what I think!", more than once, even though I don't know why I was thinking that way. He has helped me understand why. Classical guitars are more traditionally built the way Ervin thinks about Steel string guitars, and I'm not sure if it might not be a good place to start for a builder. It gives you a more immediate feel of "light" building, vs worrying about the torque of steel strings.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:42 am

Thanks Hesh & Waddy. You are quite right about the cost compared to a back & side set. I probably will buy both of them at some stage especially as they sound like the new bees knees, it is just my scottish ancestory reeling at the initial outlay :lol:
I'm with you Hesh in that I don't want to build guitars exactly like so & so's, I want to be armed with the tools to be able to build better "my" guitars, who knows, there could be another Torres like reputation lurking in here somewhere! I did like his attitude on the video, it wasn't at all dictatorial which it sounds like the books are written in the same manner.
"Jesus Loves You."

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:04 am

every thing waddi and Hesh said, Hesh put it to a tee, the 2 are really needed, and i agree he is not describing how to build a Somogyi Guitar, take the lessons and make it your own. That is my intent.
I bought the 2 as a set and was fortunate to get a signed copy of each :D

John Steele
Blackwood

Post by John Steele » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:11 pm

While I have never met him or read his recent books I have followed Mr Somogyi's career for a good many years, I can say this about him; his ideas seem to be based on sound, practical, and hard won experience.
I plan on purchasing his books when I can.
On a side note, thanks Nick for posting the link to the vid. The ring he got from that BRW back was like a bell. :D
Good thought provoking stuff.
J
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 pm

$US327 dent in the bank account......these books had better be good.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Where do you get the books?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Bought em off Somogyi's website:

http://www.esomogyi.com/books.html

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and got both books as well. Thanks for the link to his site. Very inspirational work.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Right...

Better sell me some tonewood to afford me some new books...

I'm off to raid the stash.

Jeremy.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Another thing that I am really enjoying that is in Ervin's books are the pictures of some things that you will rarely see on the forums. The kind of stuff that some builders keep to themselves.

For example how many times have you seen deflection testing rigs pictured on the forums? I have only seen one thread with some pics in 5 years.... Somogyi shows his and provides enough info to easily make your own. Be advised though he does not indicate what his own magic number is. But he does say that he thins tops to a deflection spec not any specific thickness which is really the important take-away when considering deflection testing and it's value.

Also he uses a voicing "fixture" to clamp free plate tops (possibly backs too) onto for voicing. It's pictured in the books too.

For a long time no one would picture double side lamination forms on the forums either - Ervin's is pictured for all to see and copy if you wish.

Something else that I find very humble about how Ervin writes is that he will tell you often that he used to do something this way or that way until he learned a better way which he presumably uses now. I probably am not clear here but what I mean to say is that we do get a glimpse of Ervin and his own evolution as a builder here.

If you think that you will be building guitars for a long time and/or you are interested in further refining the voice and responsiveness of your guitars these books will help you greatly IMHO.

Again they are not basic guitar construction manuals although a great deal of info about things such as bridge weights, inletting braces, etc. that are construction related is discussed.

Don't get me wrong the books are expensive and again everyone should do what is right for them - always. If nothing else the message that I want to convey here is that I am completely enjoying reading mine and I have no doubt that the guitars that I build going forward will benefit from what I am learning from Ervin. Great stuff!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:31 am

Hesh1956 wrote: I have no doubt that the guitars that I build going forward will benefit from what I am learning from Ervin. Great stuff!
That's the name of the game at the end of the day. Thanks for your further thoughts Hesh.

Right Im off to talk to Mr Somogyi about some commission. From what I can make out,that's at least three lots of books Im up for on this post alone :shock: :lmao :lmao
"Jesus Loves You."

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:33 am

He should at least send you a beer coaster with some of his inlay work on it Nick. :D
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:35 am

Allen wrote:He should at least send you a beer coaster with some of his inlay work on it Nick. :D
I'd be up for that :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am

Ordered them too. I love books. Sites like this must be great for business.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:37 am

Hey LOOK !!

This rosette is kinda familiar...

Geez, you can't trust anyone not to copy :shock:

Looks like I'm just going to have to get Ervin to explain himself :evil: :lol:

*DISCALIMER* Note - This is highly unlikely to be true; for too many reasons to mention; none less than the fact his was probably done before mine. Hey, a man can dream can't he? :)

Have just been checking his website. Great inspiration - such quality work, though I'd love some larger detail shots so you could really see the fine detail and technical intricacy of his work.

Oh well, I really look forward to buying the books when I can afford to.

Jeremy.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:24 pm

J.F. Custom wrote:Hey LOOK !!

This rosette is kinda familiar...

Geez, you can't trust anyone not to copy :shock:

Looks like I'm just going to have to get Ervin to explain himself :evil: :lol:

*DISCALIMER* Note - This is highly unlikely to be true; for too many reasons to mention; none less than the fact his was probably done before mine. Hey, a man can dream can't he? :)

Have just been checking his website. Great inspiration - such quality work, though I'd love some larger detail shots so you could really see the fine detail and technical intricacy of his work.

Oh well, I really look forward to buying the books when I can afford to.

Jeremy.
Jeremy, I have seen Somogyi's rosettes, and they are exquisitely beautiful - and still think yours is cooler!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Im think we should have perhaps done a bulk buy deal with Mr S and perhaps cut down on shipping a bit.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:05 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Im think we should have perhaps done a bulk buy deal with Mr S and perhaps cut down on shipping a bit.
Still want my bloody commission! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."

Ricardo
Sassafras

Post by Ricardo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:09 pm

If you really want to splash out, i believe he is offering leather bound collector sets of the books.....for collectors that is

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:06 pm

I had looked at that, but didn't see prices, and after looking at the price of his basic guitar, I decided that the old hard cover was all I really could justify.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia