French Polishing Engleman

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

French Polishing Engleman

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:04 pm

I started French Polishing the Engleman top (Grahams 3A grade) on a classical the other day. I sanded back to 320 grit with garnet paper and then did a couple of wetting sessions to raise the grain and then sanded back again.

Once Id got the seal coats on I noticed tiny pin holes breaking through the shellac. I took a closer look with a Lupe and it looked very much like the grain was raising again under the shellac and some of the nibs were protruding through the finish. I let the shellac harden and then sanded back with oil lube using 400 grit wet and dry. After two body sessions theres no sign of the surface breaking up and all seems ok.

Anyone had this experience with Engleman?

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Never French Polished it Martin, but I have noticed it being a little furry sometimes when I spay the first coats of lacquer. I put the first few coats on piss thin, then give them a little tickle with some P400. Seems to fix the problem.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:31 pm

I would not trust it, use a chainsaw to be sure its gone :wink:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Thats a great help Allen....looks like my thoughts were on the right tracl. useful information for others FP'ing Engleman. Havent had the problem with Sitka or Lutz.
Allen wrote:Never French Polished it Martin, but I have noticed it being a little furry sometimes when I spay the first coats of lacquer. I put the first few coats on piss thin, then give them a little tickle with some P400. Seems to fix the problem.

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Did you fill the pores?

Hip??
[img]http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10140.gif[/img][img]http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1062.gif[/img]
Hippus Erectus

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Fill the pores in a spruce?

You'll always get a bit of fuzz and such on the first coats of anything.

Romanillos uses a ground of egg white as a sealer on wood before French polishing. Egg white brushed on, allowed to dry, and then sanded lightly...

I like "Waterlox"...a very thin tung oil "long oil" varnish...as a presealer under just about anything.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:27 am

No pore filling Hip. I've used the egg white sealer on a couple of tops but have stopped using it. Probably great in a drier climate but a little hard to work with when the wet season sets in up here.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:16 am

Rick Turner wrote:
Romanillos uses a ground of egg white as a sealer on wood before French polishing. Egg white brushed on, allowed to dry, and then sanded lightly...
Dunno why I didnt think of that...I used the technique while doing some practise work on a dummy top last year.

Got two more body sessions done yesterday and the top is looking good now. Thanks for everyones help/comments.

Cheers Martin