Progress pictures of my Fat Bottom Girl

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Progress pictures of my Fat Bottom Girl

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:40 pm

I've had a bit of a productive weekend. Made some bindings and purflings, Inlaid the end graft, bound the body and sanded it out. This is the first time I've done a sound port, so I thought I would give it an Australian feel. I cut it before I bent the side, but I think that if I was to do it again I would cut it after. I thought that I had put it in the center of the side, but as you can see, I got the measurements a little off. Live and learn.:?

This is also the first time that I feathered out the lower X-Braces before they reached the linings. The top braces are some perfectly quartered red cedar that is really stiff. The top rings much more than any guitar that I've built yet. Also much lighter too. The body as it is comes in at 834 grams.

Back and Sides African Mahogany
Top, Redwood
Bindings, Queensland Walnut
Purflings, just some black and white veneer sheets that I slice up with a scalpel.

Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:48 pm

Very tidy indeed Allen.

I'm keen to hear how the Redwood and Mahogany sound.

Nice looking rosette too.

Great effort.

Bob

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks Bob, the rosette is sort of a mistake. I had laid it out to be just one ring of shell and a BWB purf on either side, but must have had a dyslexic moment and cut on the wrong line, so this was how I made it a feature. 8)
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:08 am

Outstanding Allen! :cl :cl :cl

I picked up on your comment that this one is lighter AND rings better - to me that is a ticket to success and I am sure that she will sound fantastic.

And WOW did you get a lot done in a very short period of time!!! You will have to come over and help me make some progress M8.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:09 am

Oh, Luthiers never use the word "mistake" and instead replace it with the word "innovation." :lol:

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:23 am

Allen,

That looks nice so far. The Queensland walnut looks like ebony in the pictures - nice. The African mahogany looks good too. I've just got some long sets in ready to make a double-necked Weissenborn-style acoustic lap slide.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:31 am

Lookin' Good Allen!
Your rosette turned out nice!
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:29 am

Hesh1956 wrote:Oh, Luthiers never use the word "mistake" and instead replace it with the word "innovation." :lol:
Then I've got all sorts of innovations happening on my guitars :lol:

There are two types of Queensland Walnut. The more common one is lighter colored and more variation in tone. This one is a really deep chocolate brown. I got 3 full sets of the stuff that are full 900mm X 210mm wide. So lots left over for bindings, bridge plates etc. I've never built with it, but the next one is going to be walnut/engelman.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:49 am

Awesome my friend, totally awesome!

love that endgraft too! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Allen, if you had not said anything I would have thought that you had designed the guitar the way we see it now. I like the sound port where it is. It seems to be pointed towards the player. Can't wait to see it finished.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:44 pm

Allen, I like that very much. Love the back stripe(s). That's the first time I've seen that done. Nice!

Ron

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:22 pm

You have a great eye for style Allen, that looks great, and like that big bum design as well. I am also really taken with that darker form of QLD Walnut. I understand that Maton use that wood but only as a laminate, and some suggest that they do this because it is a bear to bend. How did you find it??

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Ron Wisdom wrote:Allen, I like that very much. Love the back stripe(s). That's the first time I've seen that done. Nice!

Ron
I first spotted that style of back stripe on Mario's build site. It wasn't very clear in his pictures, but I liked the idea very much for something a little different, so I suited it to my building style and match the curve into the end graft...at least I try too.:D

I give him full credit for the design and call it the" Proulx Back Stripe".
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:30 pm

Kim wrote:...I understand that Maton use that wood but only as a laminate, and some suggest that they do this because it is a bear to bend. How did you find it??

Cheers

Kim
The walnut is really hard, but surprisingly not that heavy, at least compared to some of the other local hard woods. The pieces that I have are really nicely 1/4rd and I've sawn them out to about 10mm thick. The problem for making them into bindings though is that the strips end up being flat sawn and that gave me more problems than anything with bending. I just misted them and put them to the bending iron. Took it easy, and only broke one strip.

They were really thin and I imagine that helped a lot. I suspect that the sides are going to be a bit of a chore. I'm going to have to get myself a silicon blanket to tackle those I think.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Great work Allen!!
I really like the back!
Nice rosette too! Even if it's an... innovation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:20 pm

That is so cool Allen . I would never pick the rosette as a recovery from a dyslexic moment. In fact ,I really really like it the way it has turned out. Is that Paua ? Great colouring. The walnut colour looks wonderful too, and what you have done to the back strip and tail wedge is very impressive .

Bravo Allen !

Cheers Craig
Last edited by Craig on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:42 am

This guitar is just beautiful! A great combinations of wood species. The Queensland Walnut is so rich looking - much richer than the North American Black (Juglans) Walnut.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:33 am

Craig L wrote:... Is that Puau ? Great colouring. The walnut colour looks wonderful too, and what you have done to the back strip and tail wedge is very impressive .

Bravo Allen !

Cheers Craig
Yes, Paua. I get it from MOP Supplies. As well as the MOP nut's and saddles I've been using. I've got some Paua notched squares that I plan on using for fret markers if the color doesn't clash when I get to that point.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia