Brazilian Rosewood in OZ

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Paul B

Brazilian Rosewood in OZ

Post by Paul B » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:32 pm

Does anyone in Oz use BRW? Where the bloody hell do you get that stuff from?

Hearing about everyone overseas using it (did you see that guitar that Lars built out of it?) is getting really friggin old.

So how do we get this stuff?

There must be some over here somewhere! :evil: Who do we have to **** to get it?

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:39 pm

I have one set plus a few boards that I bought in 1980's.

I've just cut the boards up into about 20 bridges and got a fingerboard out of it.

I've assumed that once I've used what I've got that's it. :cry:

I wouldn't mind getting hold of some more for bridges though.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:20 pm

There were 10 sets for sale on Ebay about two months ago from a guitar shop in Sydney.

They wanted megabucks for it though.

If you want the Braz sound I'd be looking at getting some Native Olive.

Dave and I were comparing tap tone of the Olive with the Braz set I've got and we both reckon the Native Olive will make a better sounding guitar.

It's got that metallic Rosewood top end sound but the bottom end is thunderously humungous.

If you're dead set on getting Brazilian the Indonesion guy on Ebay that is selling the plantation stuff would probably be the only place you'll get it legally without having to take out a second mortgage.

Arnt
Blackwood

Re: Brazilian Rosewood in OZ

Post by Arnt » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Paul B wrote:Hearing about everyone overseas using it (did you see that guitar that Lars built out of it?) is getting really friggin old.
You mean Lars Rasmussen from Sweden, right? He said that he bought his stash from a cabinet maker's hop that was going out of business. I think he said the pile was 400 kg!!! That's right, 400 kg, but none of it much wider than about 100 mm so he has to make 3-4 piece backs. Still...

I have had no such luck, but I have some sets that I got from a friend. I don't believe I will ever get any more, so I'm saving it up for when I know what I'm doing. That, or to finance a Porche if I get tired of making guitars.
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:02 am

Paul this is a little off from your original question so forgive me please M8.

My very first ever BRW guitar should be back here and set-up, if all goes well, in 1-2 weeks. This guitar was built exactly as I built a Koa OM that turned out pretty good.

What will be most interesting to me will be to hear it and compare it to the Koa guitar. In my experience Koa is a great tonewood but lacks the glassy, piercing highs and deep bass. BRW should shine here.

BTW I have 6 sets of BRW in the stash. :D

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:31 am

6 sets? Your just rubbing it now Hesh.

Yes Arnt that's the Lars I was talking about. Even with three or four piece backs his guitars look great.