Bass Construction Take 2

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Bass Construction Take 2

Post by needsmorecowbel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Can anyone see any potential problems for using African Rosewood as a body base for a bass guitar then routing/ hollowing the almighty Christ out of that piece of Rosewood (to reduce the weight from 4-5 kg to 1.8 kg ish), then gluing/ adhering a drop top of Sheoak or Myrtle Burl or a pair of Flame Myrtle droptops?

I can get my hands on Maple as a base for the body, but it is probably not instrument grade timber and instrument grade timber starts is expensive at around $200 + for a decent piece, up to 400 for a well figured piece of QLD maple. The piece of Rosewood cost 60 bucks per half metre... Any thoughts suggestions would be much appreciated

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:47 pm

African rosewood? I used New guinea Rosewood for a bass for my son which we just finished.
Finished it at 42mm thick minus contouring was fine for weight

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:50 pm

I know nothing about African rosewood or weight issues but as you seem to be just starting out making guitars then build it anyway (especially as you capital outlay is lower using this timber), if it doesn't work out as well as you hope then you have learnt a lesson that stands you in good stead for future builds, if it does work then you are ahead of the play. This is how I started, my first few electrics were made from timbers I knew bugger all about but were affordable and available from local yards, found out which timbers worked and which didn't.
You also say you are going to chamber the body anyway so I don't think weight is going to be the issue (you can control this by how much you chamber the body), I would say the stability should be your prime concern.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 pm

The 'African Rosewood' you mention using is most likely what many here would know as 'Bubinga'; in other words a Guibourtia Spp. Not a true rosewood, but it is used regularly for guitar making. You should have no problems with your intended use that's for sure - it's a beautiful timber. It is also comparatively cheap to acquire in board form still which is a bonus. 'Chambering' the piece is a personal choice but there would be many heavier guitars out there anyway.

The only other timber it could be off the top of my head, is Paduak; the Pterocarpus family. This is occasionally referred to as African Rosewood too but not commonly. I doubt your piece is Paduak though as from the image, it looks more like Bubinga. I could be wrong of course :wink:

Jeremy.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Australian Furniture Timbers call Padauk "African Rosewood"

I've got some that looks a lot like that pic.

It's a great wood for acoustics. Don't know how it would go as an electric wood.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 pm

bob wrote:Australian Furniture Timbers call Padauk "African Rosewood"

I've got some that looks a lot like that pic.

It's a great wood for acoustics. Don't know how it would go as an electric wood.
See!! Told you I could be wrong :D

Wasn't aware of any suppliers here calling Paduak African Rosewood but there you go. The timbers can look similar - your image looked like a friends guitar that he thought was Bubinga. From what Bob says, he may have been wrong too.

Perhaps one way to check, other than questioning the supplier... As far as I'm aware, Paduak when freshly cut or planed, is less colourful or vivid - much like Purpleheart is. However it oxidizes and gains that deep rich colour it is known for, reasonably quickly. At least, the pieces I have did this. I'm not as familiar with Bubinga but, though most timbers oxidize to some extent, I am not aware of it being as pronounced.

All said, I'm with Nick - give it a go and see what it is like.

Jeremy.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:54 pm

When it's freshly planed it's a vivid red/orange and it dulls down to a reddy brown after oxidisation.

This guitar is about three years old now and it's gone quite dull compared to these pics

Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm

How do you guys go about selling your instruments? Or is it more of a case of people come to you and ask to have a custom instrument made?

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Ah. the million dollar question grasshopper. :lol:

I've found that you need to put in just as much time marketing and selling as you do building. From conversations with others about this, it seems to be a similar story.

I suppose when you get established with lots of years building and many instruments out there it might become easier simply by referrals and word of mouth.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:27 pm

As Allen said "the million dollar question"! If it was easy, more of us would be building full time!
Personally I really enjoy my day job so building is more a 'hobby' job & to date I haven't sold too many Acoustics. I built and repaired electrics for 15 years previously though & it still never provided enough income to go fulltime. My first few guitars I still have, these were the ones where I developed my chops and was able to finally have an instrument I could "show off". I took my guitars around the local music shops so they could see what I was capable of. In NZ unless you have a well known name and people come to you on your past builds (which takes years to build up a good name), the music shops are the places people first go to ask if something a little 'different' is available and you get some work by referal from these guys so get in sweet with them.
I only got work where cheaper asian guitars either didn't cut it, or didn't have the options the person was looking for such as a lefty (surprisingly not too many left handed guitars are in NZ, they have to be ordered especially),being able to build that 'custom' guitar is a bonus but only occassionally. But most of my cash came from resprays and refrets.
So it is not an easy task ahead of you grasshopper if this is the road you wish to follow.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Cheers

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Dont give up your day job.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:04 pm

It actually takes another part time job to feed the tone wood bug. One salary just isn't enough :shock:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia