Ukulele friction tuners

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Luke
Blackwood

Ukulele friction tuners

Post by Luke » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:31 pm

I folks, I have built a couple of odd ball ukulele's recently and used friction tuners Gotoh from ASLP I think they are fairly ordinary compared to the geared ones I fist got from Stew Mac.
Is there any decent friction pegs out there I can use to replace the ones I have? I would not have enough room to use the little geared grovers :(
any help would be appreciated.
Luke.
Cheers Luke

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:31 pm

I have the Grover friction pegs that David Hurd uses. I bought 5 sets from him last February when I was in Albany. They work well, and look traditional, but aren't my favorite, after using the geared ones.

I've got 2 setst left. I paid $30 each. Chrome with black buttons. If you're interested in them, let me know. I can take pictures etc.

Otherwise the next option is to go some geared friction pegs style that Stew Mac sells, but you're not going to like the price of those ones. :shock:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi Luke.

Gotohs are my favourite because they come in gold with ivoroid or amber buttons.

I reckon they work just as good as Schallers or Grovers.

Cheers Hip.
[img]http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10140.gif[/img][img]http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1062.gif[/img]
Hippus Erectus

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 am

Grover #4's are a knockoff of the Gotoh and they come in chrome, nickel, or gold with black, white, pearloid, or grained ivoroid buttons. The ivoroid or pearloid buttons cost more. This particular friction peg works very well on soprano and concert ukes. A few people I know use them on tenors, but I don't recommend it. The smaller Grover #2 or 3 buttons are strickly for repairs on cheap ukes. The next size up Grover, the #85 or #88, work well on tenors but don't look all that great. There is no good looking, fully functional friction peg for tenors. For the straight peg look you could use Pegheds, but they are very pricey and you have to like the ebony look.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Bob G. wrote:Grover #4's are a knockoff of the Gotoh and they come in chrome, nickel, or gold with black, white, pearloid, or grained ivoroid buttons.
:lol: :lol: Sorry not laughing at you Bob, just find it amusing that a company live Grover's are now copying the original copiers. Gotoh have really got it down to an art now (guitar gear, not copying) and make some really nice gear.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.