down under tops

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bob j
Gidgee

down under tops

Post by bob j » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:54 am

I really have enjoyed looking at the stunning guitars you are craftendg
If someone has the time would you please compare the topwoods you use and compare them ( all other things equal) with the usual cast of suspects that are used in US and Europe?
Thanks,
Luthier is a fancy word for termite.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:09 pm

I haven't built enough guitars to give any type of informed answer, only built one with Sitka and it's way over built.

I love using the cypress and Australian Cedar. The cedar would be my favorite. It's very stiff and a relatively hard surface, so doesn't ding up like spruce or western red cedar and the color is just so unusual that people have to pick it up. The Cypress has a firm surface as well so is more forgiving with dings. There was a huge difference in the stiffness of the tops that I had, so I had to brace accordingly. They are both very lively though.

The cypress we have here (cupressus macrocarpa) I'm told is the same as Monterey Cypress. It doesn't have much of a cypress smell to it. I've built an all Cypress OOO that so far is my favorite guitar (the one in my icon), and used it as a top on a EIR OM cutaway. People that played both guitars prefer the OM. Perhaps its the EIR that gives it a bit more punch.

Australian Cedar (toonis australis) was apparently marketed years ago as Cuban Mahogany in some circles. Unfortunately like all lovely timber, its getting harder to get. I've been waiting for nearly a year to get some more tops. Have a couple on the way, so I'll post some picts when they show up. If they're any good I'm going to grab all that I can.

I hope this is a little help. I'm waiting for a shipment of spruce from Canada, and perhaps after building a couple more I'll be able to give a more informed response.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi Bob,

If you want to try out a few tops I can offer you a pack consisting Bunya, Cypress and Australian Red Cedar. If you are interested send me a PM.

regards
Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]