Strings and Intonation

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

vandenboom
Blackwood

Strings and Intonation

Post by vandenboom » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:58 am

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

Originally Posted on: Wed Aug 11, 2010

I had heard that worn strings can have some impact on intonation, but in all my years of playing, I have never let my strings get that bad to realise just how big an impact it can have.

It may be one of those things that everyone else in the world knew except me, but I thought I would put this topic up for those of you who are fairly new to building/repair and haven't come across it either.

I posted a separate topic a couple of days ago about a dreadnought I was asked to look at that wouldn't play in tune. I mentioned in that thread that I noticed the saddle position was about 2mm too far forward and the saddle was carved pretty weird to do its best to compensate.

Well tonight I plugged and recut the saddle slot - placement was perfect.
I still had the original strings on it. When I did the open string/12th fret test, it was ridiculous how different they were. I was worried thinking that I had stuffed something up in the process and was starting to wonder how I was going to explain this to the owner. After checking all measurements, ensuring nut slots had their leading edge right at the front, I finally replaced the strings. Intonation now perfect!!

I had no idea that really stuffed strings, especially high E & B, could be almost a semitone out.

Frank

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Strings and Intonation

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 am

Whats the bet the owner hasnt changed the oil in his car since he bought it??
Martin

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 am

First rule of setting up a guitar: Use New Strings
Second rule : Use New Strings
Third rule: etc

It is a total waste of time trying to set intonation with old strings.

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 am

Graham McDonald wrote:First rule of setting up a guitar: Use New Strings
Second rule : Use New Strings
Third rule: etc
The Magic Pudding has spoken!!
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:03 am

I have always used new strings for setting up guitars etc. However in recent times I have found a problem. Many of my customers are using those coated strings, at about $30.00 a pop, and they do not aways look ready for change. I don't keep those strings in stock so it makes things a bit tricky.

Recently the only answer I had for a low-ish action problem was a crook string but the strings were not ready for changing, according to the customer. They were the long life coated ones. I suggested he live with the problem [fret buzz] until he changed strings. About a month later I got a call from the customer saying he had changed strings and all was well.

Many people wipe their strings on the top after playing, I always tell customers to wipe under the strings as thats where to crud and rust will build up, and change the mass of the string.
Taff

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:04 am

You would be surprised at how very many strings are defective right out of the package...

Yes worn strings can impact intonation.

Also the brand of strings can too - different strings intonate differently.

Lastly intonation should be done/checked in the playing position, not just you but the guitar too.... Very Happy Gravity is a factor on many guitars.

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF recovery team.