Glueing up a Australian cedar top.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Glueing up a Australian cedar top.

Post by Allen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:01 pm

I've been asked a few times about how I join the top and back plates of my guitars, so I took a snap of one I did this avey.

Australian Red Cedar top that has a few flaws but they are either outside the body shape or will be easy enough to hide.

Anyway, I use a shooting board and a small block plane to get the edges light tight. I'm getting better at it, and this one took 12 minutes. I prop both outside edges up and then stretch some tape across the joint. When the top is forced down flat, the tape pulls the joint together nice and tight.

.Image

Get the hide glue nice and warm then close the two halves up like a book, with the tape to the inside. Spread glue on the edges, then lay the two halves down on a marble slab. Give the squeeze out a quick wipe off and then lay another piece of marble on top. Simple as :D

Note that I've got some sandwich wrap on the bottom side to I don't glue the top to the marble, and have some packing tape on the uppermost slab for the same reason.

I picked up the marble from the local tip shop. They've got heaps of off cuts from kitchen manufacturers. Only cost a couple of bucks and they're handy for all kinds of things in the shop.

You pros with dozens of instruments under your belts probably have a method that works better, but newbies might want to give this way a go.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Good Show Allen!

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Good show Allen and I got a chuckle out of your thread because I do this exactly the same way that you do M8. :D

I completely agree that the tape method is great and it also is quick and easy for joining book matched head plates and rosette blanks.

I like the marble idea and should check into the availability of some pieces here.

BTW I have a Spanish tourniquet jig, the same jig that LMI uses to join hundreds of plates for customers, and the tape method is easier and more reliable IMHO.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:46 am

I use tape on both sides, then just stand them up against a wall or whatever til they dry. That way you can do the back or another top at the same time.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:10 am

Ive always had a thing about instruments of torture so I use the tornique method

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:19 am

Hi Allen,

Just tried it, works very well! Thanks for the tip, boy do I feel like a noob....

Sebastiaan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Paul B wrote:I use tape on both sides, then just stand them up against a wall or whatever til they dry. That way you can do the back or another top at the same time.
What's the rush Paul? Gotta move to Queensland. Nothin' happens fast up here. I gotta have time to knock the froth of a XXXX and admire my work. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia