Feels a bit like Xmas-Engelman has arrived

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Feels a bit like Xmas-Engelman has arrived

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 pm

I just got my package of Engelman Spruce from Graham Hein today in the post. It left Canada on the 28th of August and showed up on the 30th of November. Not quite the 6-8 weeks that I was hoping for, but I'll plan well ahead the next time.

10 tops and 10 lbs. of brace wood. Guess what I'm going to be doing over the holidays. :D

Customs and Quarantine opened it up as well. I can only wonder what they think when they open a spruce box full of spruce....makes one think were all a little mad :? .
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Try coming through customs at Sydney airport with a 10" thick billet of Sitka taking up most of your suitcase. That caused considerable excitement once I opened it up. Their main concern is beetle and bugs and such like and once I explained what it was for they were fine and even a bit interested.

Graham Hein has just sent me some Englemann mandolin wood. He was going to be in the US and the US Postal Service sent it by airmail for only a little more than the Canadian Post Office wanted for surface mail. Arrived in 9 days from the US and untouched by customs. It is random because I have had to make lengthy explanations to the Customs people in Sydney several times to get stuff through without paying duty/GST, yet most of the time things just appear at the PO box.

Nice wood too!

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 am

Very nice Allen!!!!

That looks like some mighty fine Engleman and it should produce some excellent instruments.

enjoy!

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:01 am

Happy for ya mate, what a nice feeling when such a package gets at the door huh?

Nice wood indeed! :D
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D