Preliminary BRW OM Pics

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Preliminary BRW OM Pics

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:56 am

Hi Folks - this is the BRW OM that I picked up from Tony the finisher yesterday. Currently I am doing the final assembly and will start setting it up tomorrow hopefully. I like to give the bridge at least 24 hours to dry which slows me down a bit.

I thought that you might enjoy seeing some progress pics of the final set-up of this guitar.

Here is my Stealth bridge design which is also fitch match BRW as are the 3 degree, non-slotted BRW bridge pins. Although these photos are taken under shop lights and rather suck but there is a high gloss on the bridge and pins. This is done with micro-mesh pads. I chuck each pin in the cordless drill and hit them with the consecutive finer grits of micro-mesh. I can do a set of pins in 5 minutes easy. I know it's pretty anal to polish bridge pins but this is one of a host of very small details that no one will probably ever notice that I do when setting up a guitar.

Here is a shot of the guitar - the back and sides, fret board, rosette, butt wedge, bridge, bridge pins, bridge plate, head plate, and heel cap are all BRW. The top is some very stiff adi and about .090 thick and thinner around the edges.

Here is the back and I was finally able to take a flash picture and kill the glare. this finish is a VERY high gloss and difficult to photograph with out natural light - difficult for me anyway. Notice too the Stealth bindings, also BRW, forgot to mention that above. To me, when using iconic guitar wood like Honduran Mahogany, BRW, and Adi I think it's important, at least to my design eye, to be repetitive with these very few design elements. So..... one of my goals on this guitar was to only use three different woods for the entire guitar.

Here is the neck joint, very tight and amazingly the Honduran mahogany and the BRW are near a perfect match in color - go figure. The neck is a three piece Mahogany laminate with black fiber in between the laminations.

The fret board is also a custom made, faux bound BRW board. It is flat sawn but that is what I wanted to use this very dramatic piece of wood. I just oiled it so it has a sheen what will last for a few months and helps to condition the fret board for string benders like me.

The tuners are Waverly with black ebony knobs which was a toss up for me. The black does match the black in the fret board very well and hides the brashness of gold metal.

The only problem that I see so far is not really a problem but with my experience with Adi tops, about 6 now, they take forever to open up. So I have a thousand watt NHT watt sub woofer with adjustable cross over and I plan on putting it in a closet with this guitar and blasting the thing for a couple of days to speed up the opening up process of the top.

When I get it completed and have a sunny day here in the now frozen tundra of Michigan I will take some sunny pics in my sun room and show you the completed guitar. Also I am meeting with David Collins, Lance Kragenbrink, and JJ Donahue next week so perhaps those bloaks will provide some unbiased testicle-monieals.... :D

Thanks for looking and this is one of the happiest times in my life when a newly born guitar is about ready to sing.

:D [/b]
Last edited by Hesh1956 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: Preliminary BRW OM Pics

Post by Lillian » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:42 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:Snip... I know it's pretty anal to polish bridge pins but this is one of a host of very small details that no one will probably ever notice that I do when setting up a guitar.
Hesh people might not be consciously aware of all the little details that you have tended to, but I can promise you that they will really like what they see. They will know that the craftsmanship is top notch, but may not be able to articulate why they feel that way. Keep tending to the details my friend. Your guitars are always stunning to behold. And I'm sure that they sound just as wonderful.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:13 pm

Looking gorgeous Hesh.

Can't wait for the sound report.

BTW Do you polish your nuts in the same manner?

Bob

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:17 pm

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Good one Bob.

Ok, seriously Hesh. that's some beautiful work. So was this top in the 130-140 gram range? What do you end up going for bridge weight?

And you could just hop on the plane and take a little winter vacation to Cairns. You can get all the sunshine you need for pictures. Was just 36.5 C in the shade ttoday, (that's 97 F for our American friends) and no snow in sight. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:25 pm

Thank you Lillian :D

Bob I will admit to using MICRO mesh on my nuts but I don't chuck those puppies in the cordless drill - that's for sure....... :bum :lmao

That's right Allen buddy rub it in about your beautiful weather as we freeze our bridge pins off here..... :D

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 am

Looking great, Hesh. And do keep those nuts polished.

Ron

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:41 am

Wooo Hooo !! That was a good one Bob!
The geetar is looking as nice any I've seen and I've seen many,many guitars. Those shiney nuts er uh pins look great Hesh. By the way I sent some brw to Louis for some of those pins too. Thanks Hesh!

I can't wait to hear your sound report too! It Looks Gorgeous bud!!! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:57 am

You folks are a riot! :rolf

Hesh, being the proud owner of a Hestone, i can say that i understand the excitement that you have right now, this one is just as awesome as the others you have built this far, she's just stunningly beautiful bro! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

erm, could you please stop playing with those nuts? :wink:

AWESOME!!!!
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:22 pm

so perhaps those bloaks will provide some unbiased testicle-monieals....
YIPES !!! Give us a big warning if you post pix! :shock: :?

This is probably the best looking Testitone you've built yet! Incredible work! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:47 pm

Bob you jinxed me man!

It took me all day yesterday to make a single stinkin nut for this guitar. Each times I made one that fit well after micro-meshing the thing it was then to small. So..... it took 3 tries before I have a nice, polished nut that fits well now....... Geeze - 7 hours to make a well fitting but........ I'm slipping....

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:48 am

Hi Hesh,

Firstly, a guitar to lust over, your workmanship makes me look like a total noob. Very, very well done and great advice about detail from Bob. I call the whole process the dojo of the shed where I run into my character flaws. My main challenge is patience.

Now the question, 1000 watt sub woofer in a closet, ah.... the neighbours mate..... Now what were you planning to play the new arrival? a bit of Mozart The Marriage of Figaro on a loop would make for an interesting apartment block. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon?, Green Day? or maybe some Al Di Meola to let it know whats expected of it. And why just a sub woofer? why not a couple of tweeters as well. Joking aside, a serious question.

Sebastiaan

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:25 am

Sebastiaan I am going to loop Madonna's Like a Virgin for a day or two and then go to some Jimi Hendrix..... :lol:

Bob can drink paddy water...... :lol:

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 pm

What can I say to a man who has just admitted to spending seven hours playing with his nuts. :shock:

Alain
Myrtle

Post by Alain » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:26 am

Another fantastic instrument bro!

Your first BRW guitar sure is a winner in all respects! I wish I could get my dirty hands on her! :shock:
'Hunting sober is like ...fishing...sober'